Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earth Day 2017
Earth Day is an important day in the history of making people aware of the planet and what we need to do to protect it.
Earth Day was started in 1970, a time when ecological awareness was very low. It was started in the USA and had significant impact on the country. The clean air act and the endangered species act were some of the positive results.

In 1990 Earth Day went global. Two hundred million people got involved and the environment became a global issue.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...d3fveNEldQ

Earth Day is approaching its 50th anniversary in 2020. It has more than exceeded expectations.

People use it as a focal point for all kinds of environmental projects. Planting trees and other green acts  are done days and even weeks ahead of the day, in honour of the day. Movements like The Canopy Project and A billion Acts of Green are just part of the Earth Day movement.

Earth Day is the largest secular observance in the world. More than a billion people every year will observe Earth Day.
Earth Day actually changed the way we treat the planet and has influenced government policies.

Earth Day 2017’s Campaign is Environmental & Climate Literacy

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...fGX0rLpZZQ

However you plan to celebrate it take time to remember the Earth and all that she is to us.

I started last week by tending my ecofriendly garden and mulching it so it will not need to be watered. Sunday I am picking up free compost from the city to use as natural fertilizer in my garden. On Monday I will be working on the animal shelter garden, also an ecofriendly garden. It provides food and shelter for birds and pollinators and is part of natural flood control when we have heavy rain. The various shrubs absorb water and they release oxygen. In my own garden I have planted a number of trees and shrubs. I am increasingly using native plants that are suited to my local environment. These are long term projects that give back to the environment.
If we all do even one thing, plant one tree,  we make the world a better place.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine