Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A dove and two quail....Dora Dove finds friends
Dora Dove has been alone since Virgil Dove died suddenly last year. I haven't found another Diamond Dove and Dora seems fine, but she is so quiet and I worried that she is lonely. I got a chance to bring home two Button Quail. They are the same size as Diamond Doves and they eat the same. They are all ground feeders and they are not aggressive.
I brought the two Quail home. Dora made sure they knew she was boss of the cage and then they all settled in together.

[Image: 118e_6a73.JPG?c=b211]

Dotty is the hen and she is white with dark dots.  Specks is the rooster and he is golden brown with dark speckles and bars.

After two days they started eating together and acting like a flock.

[Image: 118c_3f50.JPG?c=3848]

As you can see, Dora is looking good. She is a pretty bird.

[Image: 118d_9d31.JPG?c=53d4]

They are a cute little flock now. The eggs are from the quail, but Dotty has shown no interest in setting up a nest or sitting on them.

[Image: 118f_8d1f.JPG?c=a710]

I  think I made the right decision for Dora and the two quail needed a home.
I haven't had quail in years. They are so cute and they are so messy. I have to change the water at least twice a day.
Dora's life is so full of energy and activity now. I think they are all happy as a little flock.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

The Quail are such lovely looking birds.
I am sure it will be much better for Dora to have some company. They seem to be settling in very peacefully together.
Did you find the Quail at the Humane Society?
The were brought in to the reptile centre. We also have birds. Quail are used to keep aviaries clean. They eat the seed that falls on the bottom of the cages. The bird breeder was getting too many. We have found people that want them. A few are still at the centre keeping cage bottoms clean.

Quail really are  cute, but Specks keeps responding to the sounds my microwave makes. I think he believes there are other quail somewhere. He reacts to my cell  phone too.
They are cute, but they are not bright.
Catherine

That's nice she has company now. Birds get lonely just like we do.

[Image: SIKJY9t.jpg] [Image: yRhDAiH.jpg]                                                                                            
The quail have certainly made the bird cage more lively. I have to clean the water twice a day and feed more often and clean the cage daily. On her own Dora was just so quiet and tidy. They may be messy room mates, but they give Dora a much more active life. She has her places where the quail cannot go so if she wants to be alone she just has to fly to an upper perch. I think it was a good choice for everyone and the quail did need a home.
Catherine