Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bear encounter in Banff
There have been a number of incidents with the same grizzly. She has encountered hikers and their dogs. She has even chased them. Since no one has been harmed they are letting the bear stay in her territory.

http://news.google.ca/news/url?sr=1&ct2=...t=1&at=dt0

It would be very scary to encounter a grizzly bear while out hiking. They are big and unpredictable.
I worry more about the bear.  If she hurts anyone they will likely shoot her. I wish they could move the people or move the bear.
It would help if people learned a bit more about how to prevent bear encounters and what to do if one happens.
I don't want to be reading an article later this summer about bear 148 getting shot.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I don't know enough about Bears. But many animals have near clearly-defined territories. If some expert could find out the extent of this Grizzly's likely territory and re-route hikers, that would be an excellent idea!
Quote:I don't know enough about Bears. But many animals have near clearly-defined territories. If some expert could find out the extent of this Grizzly's likely territory and re-route hikers, that would be an excellent idea!
That is what they need to do.
Years ago after an incident where someone was hurt by a grizzly bear in one of the mountain parks, they moved the camp ground out of the bear's territory. The new location was just as nice, but much safer.
We have to learn to share the planet. The mountain parks are so large that we can easily give some areas back to the grizzly bears. Hikers can walk a different route and avoid animal conflicts.

Every year they close some ski areas because of avalanche danger and there is still plenty of skiing to be done.  We don't have to walk everywhere and be everywhere.

The way things are the bear is in real danger.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine