Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OCD in Dogs
People studying dog behavior have recognized that some dogs develop OCD(Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). The call it CCD(Canine Compulsive Disorder), but the dogs develop compulsive behaviors the same way humans do. In fact they are really drawing on human research to diagnose and treat the dogs.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20170627...g-with-ocd

It is complex and humans and dogs can both benefit from the research being done. There is a genetic link which explains why some breeds have a tendency to CCD and others do not. The types of medications that are helping people are also helping dogs.
This time we tested them on ourselves first.

This is going to open up our thinking about conditions like OCD/CCD and it is going to change how we understand dog intelligence. If they are able to get the same mental illnesses that we get then they must be more like us than we realize.
This could open up a whole new way of looking at research. This is not a matter of creating a similar illness in animals and then trying to study human disease from it. These dogs are naturally exhibiting the illness and so really can contribute to our understanding of the disorder.

This is a research methodology that can really have positive results for both species(humans and dogs).
I hope other researchers that are still imposing human diseases on animals to try and understand things, will now take note and realize that you need to study diseases in species that get them naturally if you want meaningful results.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes some dogs do get OCD. Border Collies are prone to it. Even with a pretty well-balanced Border Collie, there can often be traces of obsessive bahaviour. (Embraced by love and understanding hopefully!)
Haha....ever played ball or frisbee with a Border Collie? Smiley4   Once you start you will be doing it until the day you die -without a break! lol Forget lunch....dinner....and sleep is over-rated.

It's good that there is a humane study. Dogs who have this tendency can help dogs -and people.
It is interesting to learn that OCD/CCD  have a genetic link. That means the person/dog was born with the tendency. I wonder if you knew before the symptoms showed up, you could be treated and never really develop the problem. I am sure circumstances and life experiences can trigger it or make it worse. It would be so much easier if the disease never became full blown. I think one could live with a tendency to be OCD/CCD much easier than living with the actual compulsions and the need to over come them.

I don't think I have ever met a CCD dog.

So collies are CCD. I was going to say poor dogs, but maybe poor owners is better. It would be a little tough having a dog that wants to play the same game over and over.

This does seem to be very humane research. The animals are already suffering from CCD and they are trying to treat them.
They are paying attention to human research and trying to learn from it. It is the best way to help people and dogs and increase our knowledge of both problems(OCD/CCD)
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine