Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pictures of baby Polar Bear at Toronto Zoo
Smile 
The little baby Polar Bear at the Toronto Zoo is doing very well. They have a lot of pictures and videos. He is so cute.

http://www.torontozoo.com/PolarBearCub/

I can't wait for him to go on display in the baby bear nursery. It is the cutest set up. We get to see the baby up close and he will have an outdoor area with a little pool. As soon as he is big enough. In the mean time he is growing cuter every day.Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Do the mom see the baby at all? It didn't sound like it from what I read. It's sad when that happens. I can understand why they couldn't but it's still sad.
Aurora the mom was trying to feed the babies, but she just didn't seem to have milk. She is still young, next time will be better.

There were three babies, two had died already and the third was losing weight. That is why they intervened. They want her to raise her own babies, but clearly this time she needed help.

Remember the mom was an orphan so she has not had the natural nurturing with a mom and she is doing well that she is trying to give her offspring what she missed herself. She is a beautiful bear and her cubs do okay. Hudson is two and he is doing very well at the Assiniboine Zoo in Winnipeg. They are setting up a Polar Bear facility so that orphaned bears can have a chance.
There will be more problems with bears as we continue to mess up the Arctic.
Catherine

What a beautiful little thing. There's just something about Polar Bear cubs.
I am glad something is being done to help them.

I agree. We are messing up the whole climate, and there are still people who deny this. There are far too many of us, and far too much energy-usage, as people can not imagine a life without utilities. Of course, I know that a life without utilities is impossible for many, still, those of us who are fit and able and do not have dependants, could live a lot more simply.
Well that's good. I hate when the parents don't get to raise their own babies. But I can understand needing to help if she didn't have milk.
The zoo has tried to give the bears a natural life. Aurora was raised at Toronto Zoo with her sister Nikita. Inukshuk, the father was raised at Toronto Zoo as well. It is only the mom who raises the cubs. She has tried, but she needs help so they intervened. Everything that can be done to make him feel safe and cared for is being done. When he is in the big nursery I will be able to get pictures.

Zoos are really trying to save animals that we have endangered by our actions.

I guess it is hard for people to make the connection between individual behavior and bears in the Arctic in danger. We would all do better if we could live more simply. Living in the city I do have a more complicated life than I really want. Still, I can keep things simpler. I do not need a TV and a Computer. One is enough. If I am finished with something I can pass it on to someone else.
We all can make choices. Even small good choices can help if everyone does it. In Toronto we are serious about recycling. Every year they seem to add new things to the list of what can be recycled.
Catherine

There is a new video. The little guy is really growing!
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2014/01/...r_cub.html

Can you believe his eyes are open and he is walking. What a cutie.Heart
Catherine

The little guy is really doing well.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/01/19/...28355.html

He is such a woolly little fellow. I can't wait to see him.Heart
Catherine

Isn't he absolutely beautiful?
He doesn't seem to mind his bath, sweet little thing.
He is a really pretty little guy. Of course Polar Bears love water so a bath must seem natural to him.

This is older brother Hudson when he was a little bit older than the new baby.
[Image: IMG_7256.JPG]
He in a happy 2 year old now, but then he was such a little man....so cute.
[Image: IMG_7259.JPG]
He had a kids swimming pool.
[Image: IMG_7270.JPG]
He liked water right from the start.
[Image: IMG_7275.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7278.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7283.JPG]

He was such a clown
[Image: IMG_7288.JPG]
He was so playful
[Image: IMG_7298.JPG]
[Image: IMG_7299.JPG]
He was always hungry so he grew like a weed.
[Image: IMG_7303.JPG]
You can see the adult bear that he will become when he stands like this.
[Image: IMG_7291.JPG]

When the new baby is on display I hope I can get some good pictures of him too.
Catherine