Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I think Koori has been shot
Koori and the little one lived a happy life. Every morning they kept watch from the back field, to see when I was around. As soon as they saw me getting ready in the bathroom, they would take up their positions on the electricity pole; Koori-Baby squawking and staring at his Mama/Dad (?) Nag nag nag....
 I don't think Koori Baby quite put two and two together about where the sandwich was coming from, but he took his cue from his parent. Koori would fly down into my garden, get the treasure and fly out again.

Yesterday morning, their routine was just the same. While my coffee was brewing, I put their fish paste sandwich at the bottom of my garden, and saw Koori come down, take it, and his little one join him in the field to eat it.
It's been the same every morning. The little one is able to hunt his own food, but still hangs around Koori, making a heck of a din, and with his mouth open. Koori relents and feeds him. All has been well.

But yesterday morning, just as they were eating, I heard the crack of a shotgun to the right of my cottage, at close range. They immediately left the food and flew up, in two different directions. I kept watch but never saw the shooter.
About ten minutes later I heard gunshot again, this time from the left, and still close by.
Everything fell quiet. Then I heard Koori calling again and again from the Oak tree.  I waited to see what would happen; glad that Koori hadn't been shot.
There were no more shots.

A little while later I saw them both together again. I was relieved. I knew they would find the food they'd had to abandon in the field.

I went out, and came back a couple of hours or more later. I didn't really notice the two Crows after that. But I was very busy.

This morning about 11, when I was coming back from Sally's I saw something black lying in the field. It was a single dead crow.  I don't know if it's Koori or not. I recognise his/her voice but not close-up appearance. But I could tell it was an adult bird not a youngster.
All day long there has been no sign of Koori and the young one. I called and called on and off all day -but no sign of them. That is not normal. The little sandwich had not been taken. It was covered with ants.
The back field and the Orchard was their area. They never went far, making a living mainly in the field. There has not been one single Crow in that back field all day, and I have not heard the baby's voice (which is unmistakable.). Fortunately the young one is advanced enough to be just able to survive alone. But it never learned to come down for the food, though Koori tried to show it how to.

Maybe the shooter came back when I was out yesterday. Or....perhaps it was a shot which woke me up so suddenly at 5.40 this morning.

I didn't bury the Crow's body. I left it for scavengers and so other Crows would see it.
If it was Koori, she/he was my friend. Lost to a morning's sport for someone....
I was so shocked I had to walk away for a few minutes before I could read this. 

I can't believe it. Can someone actually shoot at a crow like that and get away with it.

I can hope that it isn't Koori that was shot, but some poor crow is dead and that is sad. I guess you will know if days go by and Koori doesn't return or if you see the baby without Koori. 
I don't know what to say. Koori is your friend and you have a beautiful bond. I am so sorry that she was murdered by a selfish person. It feels like something beautiful has gone out of the world. It doesn't seem possible that someone would do this. 
Why would anyone shoot a crow?
Why would anyone shoot any bird?
Why would anyone shoot a gun anyhow? 

People in Canada mostly don't have guns. We just don't have them. I only know one person with a gun and he shoots at a gun club indoor range. I know some people hunt, but you wouldn't shoot a crow. It doesn't make sense.

I am glad you left the body where the other crows could see it. They were friends too and they need to grieve in their own way. If it is Koori, the baby will need to know that she is really gone.

I am just so shocked by the news and I am so sorry for your loss.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh dear! What terrible news! If you awoke suddenly at 5H40, then it was doubtless a shot which caused it. Sadly, it sounds like Koori has met a sudden passing. Tobi, I send you my profoundest condolences. You were so attached to Koori and s/he was such a character. We discussed Koori quite a lot on this forum.

To answer your question, Catherine, lots of people would kill a crow. I don't want to upset Tobi at this time (so Tobi, you may not want to look - or otherwise only look if you feel the need). Here are some answers about "Who would kill a crow?", plus a few comments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wD4_Y7NNG_Y
This is absolute rubbish. I had a flock of sheep for many years (still have two mature ewes) and never, ever had any attack from crows (and we have plenty of them!). The video shows a dead lamb with parts eaten, but a) the lamb is not a new born, so b) it must have died later and then been eaten as carrion. I always did my best to take ewes inside for births, but sometimes lambs were born during the night unexpectedly and we had surprises in the morning! But never, not once, did I see a crow go near a newly born lamb. The only risk would be from a fox smelling the blood, but that never happened to us, either.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/air-rif...ntrol-4541
A typical hunt-and-shoot viewpoint, even claiming that the gutless shooting of an innocent bird is a "sport"!

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/news/local-ne...le-9310144
The shooting of crows is mostly done by gamekeepers and farmers rather than roaming, trespassing hunters. This article tends to further the farmers' propaganda, but there is this important sentence:
"Research data is scarce. One scientific account of 297 lamb deaths in Argyll, in the early 1960s, showed that 48% died of starvation, 22% were stillborn, and 9% died of disease. Crows attacked 48% of the lambs, but only 17% were alive at the time." In other words, 48%+22%+9%=79% were already dead. The hill farmers who leave their sheep unprotected would do better spending their time better looking after their newborn lambs, as 48% dying of starvation is appalling.

Crows are an essential part of nature and are curious, intelligent birds. It is a disgrace to shoot them and quite unnecessary.
Again today there is no sign of Koori and the little one. I don't even hear the young Crow's voice. The electricity pole is abandoned. Three random Crows were in the field today but scattered when they saw me, so that wasn't Koori's tribe.

Koori comes when I call him. He knows his name, and knows it usually means a treat. They are always ready for their morning treat. Sometimes Koori would make a fly-over after they had eaten with one "caw"....it almost seemed like a "thanks". It was certainly a direct communication to me.
He would click his beak in greeting as I walked down to see Sally, or drop in to say hello when I walked in the orchard.

I only found one dead Crow, so wonder what has happened to the young one. If it tries to join forces with other Crows, I don't know what the reception will be like. I have not heard its voice in 2 days now. I don't suppose I would if Koori is gone, as the little one only made that noise to ask for food from Koori. Let's hope what he/she has learned in this last 4 months will stand him in good stead.

Yes they shoot Crows here. But it's rare I hear the shotgun so close by. The last time I heard it was in February in the Orchard at night. I know they were shooting deer. In February, the lady who lives at the Orchard house was boasting about "eating their own venison from the orchard". There is much stupidity here when it comes to wildlife. Deer are looked on as pests, though they do no damage to anything farmers/apple growers do. The apple trees are protected with sheaths until they grow bigger.
Crows are hated. Though why I'll never know. There are sheep here, but lambing season is over.

Shooting a Crow is better than putting it in a Larsen trap. But it is so unnecessary. They do no harm that I have noticed.

Blessings to my friend Koori, who has now left this world with all its silly ways, and has gone home to Spirit. He/she will remember knowing a human who was okay.
I am still shocked by what has happened.
It is cruel and unnecessary to harm birds like crows. They are a healthy part of the ecosystem. Crows eat the dead and keep an area clean.

I didn't see any proof that crows kill lambs. They will eat a dead lamb. That makes sense. If the farmers are so concerned about their lambs, maybe they should look after the sheep and leave the birds alone.  If almost half the lambs are dying of starvation maybe the sheep need better feed. The ewes must not be nursing them properly or else their milk is not good. Just leaving the sheep alone to give birth and fend for themselves means you are taking a big chance with the lambs, When it doesn't work out it is easier to blame crows that to admit that you didn't do your job.

Killing birds as a sport is sick. Basically they are saying it is fun to kill things. They enjoy killing things. How is that different from a serial killer?

I am still a little socked by the fact that someone walks around your area with a gun and actually fires the gun. It seems very  dangerous to me.

We are all going to miss hearing about Koori, but you are going to miss hearing Koori. I hope the little one is safe with other crows who will teach her what she still needs to know. 
Our dear Koori must fly free and leave you, but she leaves behind precious memories of a beautiful friendship.
Catherine

(08-15-2017, 10:32 AM)Catherine Wrote: Crows eat the dead and keep an area clean.....

If the farmers are so concerned about their lambs, maybe they should look after the sheep and leave the birds alone.....

When it doesn't work out it is easier to blame crows that to admit that you didn't do your job.....

I am still a little socked by the fact that someone walks around your area with a gun and actually fires the gun. It seems very  dangerous to me.....

Very good post, Catherine! 28 

The fact is, many hill farmers leave their sheep unattended for days, even in some cases for weeks or months. They have so many, scattered over such a large area, that they allegedly "don't have the time" to watch over them frequently. It is then so easy to shift the blame for deaths on to crows/ravens.

When we had a flock of sheep, lamb deaths were a very rare occurrence indeed (about one every three years). But then we used to watch over them all the time; they were probably the most spoiled sheep ever, LOL!

As for people walking around shooting, it is just as well that you don't live in the USA, where 36% of the population have guns of some sort, even after a recent drop in numbers (!):
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk...0-year-low
Well.... Smiley4  (I feel like a right eejit!)
I am very pleased to tell you some excellent news! Guess who was on the electricity pole this morning? Yes....Koori AND Koori-Baby. They got a sandwich as usual.

A Crow was definitely shot out there. But it wasn't Koori. I think the two of them re-located to somewhere a distance away, most likely Saturday morning, and on Tuesday morning they considered it safe to return. That certainly shows how bright Crows are.

I know about hill farmers leaving their sheep unattended, LPC. It doesn't make sense to me. I have had to assist sheep who were in one fix or another, from North Wales to where I live now. There is one farmer nearby whose sheep always look brilliant and he truly looks after them. You can tell. I helped him fix an electric fence up once. He's a nice chap.

Anyway I am very glad to see the two Crows back again!
Wonderful news! Hooray for Koori and "Son/Daughter of Koori"!
Smiley12 Smiley34 Smiley32 Smiley58 Thumbsupsmileyanim

As for "eejit" - I had to look it up (appears to be of Scottish/Irish origin).

No, you're not one!
I don't believe it! I had given up hope. It is still very sad that a crow was killed, but I am so relieved that it is not Koori. 
You are right, they must have relocated for a couple of days until they felt it was safe.

Koori is clever to take the baby to safety. Koori is smart enough to know that you are not a danger, the other human is, with his gun.  You were right to be worried. It could easily have been Koori.

There is still someone in your area with a gun who shoots birds. That is not good. He could easily have shot a person out for a morning walk. 

It seems like very bad farming to leave animals unattended for so long. No wonder so many lambs die. What if a ewe got into trouble during a delivery? If there are twins, maybe the mother can't manage to nurse them both. It is negligence, a failure to provide for the animals in their care. When something goes wrong it must be the crows. It can't be that the farmer failed to check on his sheep and look after them. 
The problem with creating a scapegoat for farming failures(other than unfairness) is that going after the scapegoat doesn't fix the failure.
This is like culling badgers. it isn't working because badgers are not the problem.

Knowing Koori is alive lifts a weight off my heart.  I am so happy for you and Koori baby. She is not an orphan after all. I hope you are celebrating together with treats.
Catherine

People shoot round here. 12 bore shotguns. It doesn't happen frequently but it does from time to time. It's always at strange hours....in the twilight or very early morning. But a neighbour said she heard shooting up the hill a few months ago, in normal daylight hours I seem to remember.
I don't know what they are doing and don't know who it is. It will be some "country person", as incidents with delinquents don't seem to happen round here. I know Deer and Crows are shot. The old fashioned country-person style is to go round shooting stuff now and again.

On two occasions in the past when walking with Misty in late afternoon in Autumn/winter (when the light was fading) I heard the crack of a shotgun VERY close by. I knew the shooter wouldn't see us for the hedge. I would get right to the ground, and Misty right next to me, and would shout out that there is someone here. I never got an answer but the shooting would stop, and we would leg it. A hedge would stop them seeing us but wouldn't stop the shots!
Very few people walk in the fields. I think Misty and I were the only ones who did, and for miles every day. Most people walk or bicycle on the lanes, and even fewer people are out in a winter twilight..