Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pet...a Pac Man Frog
Smile 
I have been looking at this little Pac Man Frog for awhile now at the reptile Centre. It just made sense to get him. He is an albino so he is actually lime green and orange. [Image: smiley-eatdrink030.gif]

So I wonder, does the game Pac Man take its name from the frog or the other way round. Do any geeks know?

This video shows a little frog the same size and colour as mine. Of course I would NEVER TREAT MY FROG LIKE THAT!

I had to move my little guy from his travel box to a small tank(just right for his size) and I gently put my hand under him and some of the bedding. He felt safe and was not traumatized at all. Later he ate a cricket, rather fiercely. I think they do bite especially when they are bigger, but I intend to handle him in ways that do not scare him and do not give him a chance to bite.

This is the classic Pac Man Video.

He will get much bigger. I just love the way he looks. Now I need a name. And yes I will try to get a picture of my frog.Smiley4
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

So, I am going to call him Garth. He seems quite happy in his new enclosure. I will get a picture soon. He looks so funny. Who would have thought up a lime green frog with orange markings. Too cute.Smiley4
Catherine

That is just too cute!!
Can't wait to see a photo of Garth. Your variety of creatures never ceases to amaze me.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
How fantastic!

Thats amazing. Is it really hard to keep the right humidity etc. Also is it okay for humans to handle them? I remember reading something somewhere about the oils on our hands being harmful, or is this just certain kinds of Frogs?

I was always fasinated by frogs and considered having one in my aquierum. I really do miss my fish tank. Still have it but certainly cant fit that along with its 200leters on my boat!
I just couldn't resist getting the little guy. I love the weird and wonderful pets.
Keeping him wet is really important so I have him in a clear plastic container. I have plenty of those because of snake breeding. It has air holes in the lid, but it really holds the moisture. Also the set up is filled with cocoanut bark/peat moss with sphagnum moss on the top. Because of my other weird creatures those are common household items.Smiley4

He eats crickets...also a common household item. My place is warm enough for him so I do not need special heating.

When he gets bigger he will eat mice, something that I always have in the freezer because of the snakes.

He doesn't move around much, but he is fun to watch. I don't think frogs do well if you handle them. I don't plan to handle him much. He is more a pet to be watched in an interesting set up. When he is really big I can set up a seriously interesting wet terrarium with a pond and maybe even a few fish in it. I do have a spare tank I can use.Smiley4

I have been looking at pac man frogs for a while and his colour is so amazing. Or should I say Excellent! Party on Garth.(the name is from the movie Wayne's World and I think it works.)
Catherine

This is not a great picture. It seems that frogs are hard to photograph.
[Image: IMG_9899.JPG]
Garth is such a little guy and so cute.
You can gauge his size from the cricket in his container.
[Image: IMG_9910.JPG]

I am keeping him in a plastic bin with a lid that has air holes so that I can keep him wet enough. When he is bigger he will be in a real terrarium. For now he is safer where he is.
Catherine

Hello Garth. Excellent name!!
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
He is very active. I never see him in the same spot twice. I also never see him move.Smiley4
So I have yet another mysterious pet. I have seen him eat and he does love crickets.
Garth suits him. He needed something a bit different. So what do you think, is he the oddest looking pet I have ever had? He looks like plastic until he eats.Smiley4
Catherine

Long life and happiness to Garth....

Beauty and wonder comes in all shapes, sizes and forms...
Heart It is our deeds, the accumulated acts of goodness and kindness that define us and ultimately are the true measure of our worth. Service is the coin of the spirit.Heart

http://holy-lance.blogspot.com
Quote:Beauty and wonder comes in all shapes, sizes and forms...
It does and I find watching the odder examples of beauty can be quite interesting. With his colours Garth is pretty and when he is big he will be very bright, almost like a neon pet.
I can make his life comfortable because his needs are simple. Garth needs to be wet enough and he likes to eat. I can provide him a set up that he will enjoy and I will get to watch him enjoy it.

I looked it up and Pac Man Frogs are named for the video game. Their real name is Ornate Horned frogs. They get to be 7 in long and 7 in wide. That is pretty big for a frog. They live 7-10 years, so I could still have Garth in 2024. Heart That is a good long time to have a relationship with a frog.
Catherine