Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
French President gets a rescue dog.
The President of France has just brought home a rescue dog as a pet. I don't know anything about his politics I don't know if he is a good leader. I do know that he has set a good example by getting a rescue dog as a pet.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/emmanuel-ma...-1.4265184

Now if only more world leaders would follow his example. 
I hope he starts a trend in his own country. If a rescue dog is good enough for the President it is good enough for anyone.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

He is a populist, centrist president. He rose on a crest of wave (the alternatives being extreme left or right), but has since rapidly lost popularity.

As the article says, French presidents traditionally have a dog. But it is excellent that he has chosen a rescue.

This idea is not unique, however. In the UK, there has been a cat at No. 10 and/or No. 11 since the time of Henry VIII - although the idea of taking in a stray seems to have started with Wilberforce - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilberforce_(cat)
Haha...thanks for that Wiki link LPC. It made me smile and made me laugh! Mrs Thatcher just went up a few notches in my estimation since I heard that she brought sardines back from a Moscow supermarket for Wilberforce!

Yes it is very good that the French President got a rescue dog. People may listen to that instead of buying from breeders.
I think it is a fine tradition, having official pets in the government residence. Wilberforce sounds like he lived up to his office as official mouser. I am sure he served his country well. 
The French President's dog will probably serve more as a PR prop, but it is still a good thing that he was a rescue. 

Many leaders who come in on a wave of popularity lose that popularity very quickly. The public is fickle and no one can make everyone happy. At least his dog will love him.
Catherine

(08-30-2017, 12:55 PM)Catherine Wrote: The public is fickle and no one can make everyone happy. At least his dog will love him.

All dogs want is kindness and love (food is useful too! And nice walks!) But give them that and they will love you until the end of time. They don't care "who" you are or even if you aren't pretty!
Maybe that is why political figures usually have a dog. There popularity goes up and down in the poles, but the dog will stay constant in his love.

We all need more dogs in our lives.
Catherine