Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
30 more Hurricane Harvey dogs to Ontario
A group called Redemption Paws is in the Houston area arranging for the transport of 30 more dogs out of the area. These dogs were already in shelters before the hurricane hit. They have chosen some of the most unadoptable dogs. The OSPCA in New Market Ontario will be receiving them and finding them homes.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...bRbq-r08QQ

This is the only solution. The shelters are overwhelmed with animals in need. Sending as many pre-existing strays to safety is the best way to ease the situation. In other cities far from Houston the dogs will have a chance to find forever homes. 

Before this is over Hurricane Harvey dogs will be in new cities all over. Houston already had a serious stray problem. Maybe this crisis will be the thing that brings it under control. Maybe there is a lesson here about moving strays around before there is a crisis. No area should be over run with dogs when there are places that have very few dogs. 

I wish these dogs every success in finding the right homes. Every dog deserves a good home and these dogs have been through a lot. They deserve the very best.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(09-11-2017, 03:08 PM)Catherine Wrote: Maybe this crisis will be the thing that brings it under control. Maybe there is a lesson here about moving strays around before there is a crisis. No area should be over run with dogs when there are places that have very few dogs. 

That is the most sensible idea. It makes you wonder why they didn't do that before the hurricane struck. If there are rescues and shelters which don't have many dogs in other states, or Canada, then moving the strays makes perfect sense!
So many US shelters are not "no kill" however. Numbers in, numbers out, all within a short space of time. It makes me wonder if it is easier/cheaper to euthanise them, than it is to organise their re-location? That would indeed be a sad and grisly thought but it wouldn't surprise me.

It is still shocking to me that any city has a stray dog problem. The odd few -fair enough....but over-run with stray dogs?? And cats? It is always the fault of humans.
Houston has a serious stray dog problem. The Toronto Humane Society already brings in dogs from other places such as Houston.
We fly them in from an over crowded shelter. If the shelter is not too far away they are picked up by vehicle. The dogs that came from Houston were brought up by the people who drove down there. Other shelters and organizations in Ontario take dogs from the USA and other countries.

Maybe we need to increase how fast we bring dogs to Canada. I wish they would have evacuated dogs before the hurricane hit.

It would be cheaper to euthanize dogs than move them, but there are groups who cover the cost and logistics of the moves.
I don't think there is any excuse for euthanizing dogs in shelters. There are places that want dogs and would be happy to have them.

I am hoping all the publicity about moving hurricane Harvey dogs will inspire shelters to ask for help moving dogs. We have room for lots of dogs in Toronto.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine