Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hurricane Harvey Dogs come to Toronto
Four dogs from Dallas will be arriving in Toronto soon.
The shelter they were in became flooded and they had to be rescued. These dogs were in the shelter before the hurricane hit so they are not rescued pets. They were already there as strays. They are part of a program that transfers dogs from a shelter in Dallas to the Toronto Humane Society.  

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/harvey/2...find-homes

I didn't realize that Toronto had already taken dogs from the Dallas shelter.  These four dogs will be adopted in no time at all.
With any luck I will get to see them getting walked when I am at the shelter working on the garden.

Dogs from all over end up at our Toronto shelter. We are able to bring them in and find homes. For dogs that were already strays before Harvey hit this is a good solution. 

It is too bad they didn't move them out before the hurricane hit, but at least they were rescued in time.
So now some lucky Toronto families will have new special dogs in their lives.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It seems that Hurricane Harvey dogs are travelling al over. This time more than sixty dogs that were in shelters before the storm are being flown by Southwest Airlines to the Helen Woodward Animal Center in San Diego.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/...hurricane/

The shelters are still overwhelmed by the disaster and these animals faced the possibility of euthanizations. Now they face the possibility of happy homes. These airlifts of animals are really mercy flights. They give the possibility of life to so any animals. 
Good for Southwest Airlines for stepping up when they were needed.
Catherine

So are these the dogs who had to be moved out of shelters to make room for Harvey rescues?

I am very glad to hear this, as there is much worry and misinformation going around that those animals have been euthanised. There has also been a lot of name-calling by upset people who haven't got the facts quite right yet.
Quote:So are these the dogs who had to be moved out of shelters to make room for Harvey rescues?
Yes these are the dogs that were moved out to make room for the rescued pets from hurricane Harvey. They were already strays so it doesn't matter where they are sent. They can find homes anywhere and I understand that other shelters have been taking them.

Dogs going from Texas to Toronto has already been taking place even before the hurricane hit. Toronto Humane Society takes dogs from a number of places and find homes for them. There are no stray dogs in Toronto, just the occasional lost pet. 

There are always people who are sure that dogs are being killed and are suspicious of anything that goes on. Transferring animals is a good way of making sure that all the dogs find homes. An overcrowded shelter will call upon a large shelter with room to take some animals. A volunteer will come in(or a visitor) and see empty cages and dogs missing and will panic that the dogs have been killed. Instead of asking, they will go out and spread stories about dogs being killed. 

A large dog was transferred from a Toronto shelter to a shelter in the country. The dog quickly found a home on a farm. In the city he was overlooked because of his size. It was a good decision that allowed the dog to find a home. There are people who are convinced that the dog was killed or worse and they are hard to convince otherwise. They want to believe that people are secretly trying to euthanize the dogs. It is just not happening.

It is not helping the Hurricane Harvey dogs for people to spread a bunch of rumors. Better they should go and adopt one of the dogs. If people are so concerned about dogs why were there so many in the shelter in the first place.
Catherine