Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dogs left chained as hurricane approaches
People in Palm Beach Florida left their dogs chained to trees and cars as they fled the hurricane. Animal Control officers raced against time to get to them all before the hurricane hit.
Forty nine dogs and two cats were rescued. Now that it is over there will be consequences. It is a criminal offence  and the owners of these pets will be prosecuted.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/09/11/pets-were-...a-6918886/

How is it possible that people would leave a pet chained up outside to face a hurricane. If they turned them loose they would at least stand a chance. This is such an act of cruelty. No matter how much of a hurry people were in, it took time to chain the animal so it was a deliberate choice. Angry

I hope they can charge people and that the charges stick. I also hope all those animals now will go to better more responsible and caring homes.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am shocked. This is unbelievable.
Were those people downright idiots and didn't mean any cruelty? Just meant to keep their dogs "safe"?? If so, those people are seriously not in touch with what the hurricane was. What did they think was going to happen?
If they did it deliberately and didn't care, then God help their Souls, and thank goodness someone came to rescue those unfortunates left in the storm tied up alone.
Thanks to everyone who worked like that to help these poor Souls whose people were either stupid or didn't care.
No one is that stupid. At very least they were uncaring. We all know that hurricanes bring serious flooding. Any animal left tied outside is going to drown or be killed by the debris blowing in the wind.

As the hurricane approached, the animal control people risked their lives to save as many animals as possible. Those animals were in danger because people put them in danger. They didn't just fail to protect them, they tied their dogs in the path of the storm. What they did is so callous that they deserve to be charged.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3739079/florid...pets-irma/

I hope they can charge them and I  hope the penalties are severe.
Catherine

I agree. They should be charged. I cannot believe that anyone would treat their dog like that with a hurricane coming.

There was plenty of warning for Irma, and it always looked as if it would make landfall in Florida. Days to prepare. I would have got my dog, some supplies, and driven WAY inland probably a week before. My dog always came with me. Those dogs who were saved were very lucky indeed.
Now some people are contesting that they "surrendered" their dogs to shelters and rescuers, because they were not willing to take their dogs with them (some storm shelters didn't allow dogs) But of course, once the owner has surrendered their dog, and signed him/her over the shelter will not let them claim the dog back. Of course! That is always the case. Don't they know that? I am pretty sure the shelters would have explained that to them -their legal rights, as it was happening!

Now WHY didn't those people think ahead and plan very carefully if they wanted their dogs with them?
There may be some who had circumstances where that could not be done, but I'd like to bet that many put other priorities first in the run-up to the storm.
Irma wasn't Florida's first hurricane and they had over a weeks warning that it was coming. I know some people had limited resources, but surely they could have found a solution that would keep their dogs safe. There were shelters that did take pets.

Too many people left things to the last minute. By then all they could do was sign their pet over to a shelter. It does seem a little harsh that they can't have their pet back. The pet would have a home right away and it would be with its own people. The alternative is for the shelter to keep the pet and then try and find it a home. It has a home if they would let the people take the pet back.

The people who left their dogs tied up or in pens outside are a whole different thing. They committed a criminal act and should be treated accordingly. 

I would never leave my pets and I know you wouldn't have either. I have special carriers for the guinea pigs. Cat carriers are the wrong shape. I have containers that my snakes and lizards can be transported in.

I don't have anything for Barrie. He could use the pine snake container. I need to get a second container that size. It goes on my shopping list right away.  If you have pets you need to be prepared.
Catherine