Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Giant African Snails
I'm getting my son a pair of juvenile giant african snails. It all started when the catalogue from Insect Lore came through the post this morning. A couple of years ago I got the Butterfly kit for the kids and they were able to watch the caterpillars grow and change into butterflies and release them. I noticed that they sold the snails as well as other bugs and creatures, so I asked my kids which they wanted. My daughter chose the butterflies and my son picked the snails. He's so excited about them that he keeps asking when are they going to be coming? Smiley4

The thing with these is they are permanent pets whereas the butterflies get released, but my daughter was rather disgusted about the idea of having a snail. Can't see why? Smiley4 I believe that they live anything up to 5-7 years.
My friend used to have some. Do you need a heating pad? I know my friend didan't take very good care of them. They used just be in a sall aquierum with soil!

Sound very intresting pets Smile
Giant snails, I haven't heard of them in a while. We used to have members with snails. I think they make interesting pets. They do last for years and they really get quite big.
Maybe your daughter will like them better when she sees them.

I don't know if they need a heating pad. You would have to look up what they need. I know they eat veggies and fruits. Now I wish I had some snails.Smiley4
It seems that your son and I have the same taste in pets.
Let us know when they arrive.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I haven't heard of those, but will google them.
Do post a picture when they arrive! And one of the butterflies?
They are an interesting creature. I wonder if there are different kinds of Giant African Snails. Do they come in different colours?
Catherine

(01-11-2014, 03:11 PM)Catherine Wrote: Giant snails, I haven't heard of them in a while. We used to have members with snails. I think they make interesting pets. They do last for years and they really get quite big.
Maybe your daughter will like them better when she sees them.

I don't know if they need a heating pad. You would have to look up what they need. I know they eat veggies and fruits. Now I wish I had some snails.Smiley4
It seems that your son and I have the same taste in pets.
Let us know when they arrive.

Actually I am quite excited about having them. Never really saw myself as ever having any exotic pets. I've always been the cute and fluffy animal lover, never really fancied the idea of lizards or snails.
This is where it starts. We all love the cute and cuddly pets, but we fall for one strange pet and the door is open. I wanted a cat for Christmas when I was ten. They gave me an aquarium full of tropical fish. That led to the turtle and once you have had a turtle, lizards and snakes are not far behind. Smiley4

I don't know where snails will lead you, but you might find yourself considering other odd pets. I can't wait to see the snails.Smile
Catherine

(01-14-2014, 03:03 PM)Catherine Wrote: This is where it starts. We all love the cute and cuddly pets, but we fall for one strange pet and the door is open. I wanted a cat for Christmas when I was ten. They gave me an aquarium full of tropical fish. That led to the turtle and once you have had a turtle, lizards and snakes are not far behind. Smiley4

I don't know where snails will lead you, but you might find yourself considering other odd pets. I can't wait to see the snails.Smile

The snails arrived this morning along with their home. We had to pop out to the garden centre to buy some top soil for them, so once I have had my cup of coffee I will be getting their home sorted and then they can move in. My son is going to be over the moon when he gets home today.

I will take some photos later and put on here for you to see. They are ever so tiny and cute (can snails be cute?). Smiley4
Snails can be cute. Baby anything can be cute. Smiley63
There is something about babies that we instinctively feel drawn towards.
I got to see a baby tarantula once. I was surprized at how maternal I felt towards it.
I can't wait to see the snails and hear what names your son gives them.
Catherine

I remember your baby tarantula Cathrine. I am also looking foward to seeing these snail pictures Big Grin