Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The burden of caring for sick pets
As much as we love them and would do anything for them, a seriously ill or dying pet is as much of an emotional burden as caring for a person. There is the added issue of finances. How far would a person go financially. How far should they go? And when the end comes how do you make the hard choices.

Mary Beth Spitznagel, a clinical neuropsychologist and associate professor at Kent State University when faced with her own dog's medical crisis, she studied the issue and published it in  the Veterinary Record. 

http://animals.howstuffworks.com/pets/ca...l-toll.htm

I think it is important to talk about this issue. If you understand what you would want to do it will be easier to make the choices when the time comes. I have known people to cash out their pension money to try and save a dog that clearly had no more time left. I wouldn't do that because that will create hardship for the rest of my life. I don't think care givers of humans or animals should give up their own lives, present and future to care for a loved one. 

I am not saying you shouldn't give a lot. I have put a lot into caring for an animal that was dying. I wouldn't quit my job and stay home though. I still have to be able to live after the pet has gone. 
It is hard to find a balance.  Care givers have to look after themselves too or they could burn out as care givers. It would be sad to give up everything to care for a beloved pet and end up resenting the pet before the end. 
It is important to find balance and it is important to know when it is time and all the care in the world will not give the pet more life.  It is always sad and it is hard to say goodbye, but sometimes that is the only thing left to do for your pet.
It never gets easier no matter how well prepared you are, but sometimes it is the only loving thing left to do.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's good that she published that article because many people are torn and heartbroken when it comes towards the end for their beloved animal. I was speaking to someone two days ago who has the same problem with a very old sick dog. Unfortunately it wasn't "cut and dried" as the dog still had a lot of decent quality of life...just needed all day nursing care, and help to go out to do his business, plus some urine incontinence.

I managed to say the wrong thing. Even with the best will in the world we can easily say the wrong thing to someone who is going through this heartbreak and final decision.

I would have happily got into debt for Misty and even moved into a tent if necessary....BUT only if there was medical hope, and she was happy enough in herself. But we were an unusual pair. And I had an unusual life and few other commitments at the time.

What is of vital importance is "quality of life". Even if the animal is geriatric or disabled in some way they can sometimes still have decent quality of life, even if reduced in some areas. But it's a fine line, and we are responsible for their happiness and welfare.
Quote:What is of vital importance is "quality of life". Even if the animal is geriatric or disabled in some way they can sometimes still have decent quality of life, even if reduced in some areas. But it's a fine line, and we are responsible for their happiness and welfare.
This is the point. When does an animal cross the line. When is a quality life actually a burden to an animal. There are no actual rules that you can follow that will give you the answer. Each situation must be judged as it happens. I have made decisions to let pets go and I have made decisions to keep them going. I have never gone for extreme medical measures just to keep a pet going a little longer. It is not always kind to prolong life. But I have never just given up and had a pet killed. I have advised other people to let their pets go when clearly it was time. Sometimes you need a friend to tell you, because you are too close to see how the animal is doing. 

I have put a lot of time into nursing an animal that was dying, but I wouldn't quit my job. I might take a day or two off or get a pet sitter to come in. I wouldn't want to burn myself out or destroy how I live because I have other pets and I need to have life go on for them.

Maybe there is a difference when you have other pets. I have a responsibility to care for them too. 

This is a complicated issue and I am sure we haven't looked at every angle of it yet.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine