Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vampire vs Werewolf
This is a little different type of topic but it's recently been on my mind.

The age old story vampire are bitten by bats. Werewolves by wolves.

I've been watching the Underworld movies lately and it's started me thinking. If anything the vampires act more like cats rather than bats. Which is the case with most vampire movies I've seen and books I've read. Which in my mind makes more sense then a bats. Vampires and werewolves are always at odds with each other. Typical cat vs. dog scenario. And like I said before Vampires in movies always seem more cat like with their hissing and agile leaps.

Anyone else feel the same?
Interesting question.Idea One that is going to necessitate the watching of various vampire/werewolf movies and shows. Good thing I got Netflix.
You do make a point. I wonder where the werewolf idea came from anyhow. Could it be from rabies? After a bite from a rabid animal one would act strangely.
I have no idea where the vampire idea came from. Any ideas?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Interesting concept there, Libby!
I must say I've never looked at it that way. I don't know where the 'vampire/bat' association originated.
I gotta say here I absolutely LOVE the "Underworld" movies!!!!! We have them all and I watch them frequently. They never get old. I was just saying [during the Golden Globes the other night] Kate Beckinsale still looks like she could pull off a few more sequels [waiting patiently]. She's gorgeous and still in great shape.
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
I have spent too much time on natural disaster movies(earth quakes, volcanos, tornados and asteroids). I am way behind on the other stuff. So what would you recommend as starter movies. I have seen some Supernatural episodes and I loved Night Stalker. I have seen a few zombie movies. I did see Love at First Bite, a romantic vampire comedy. My favourite scene is where the vampire discovers the blood bank and makes a withdrawal. Smiley4

And why do vampires wear capes? It looks good, but is that why the are associated with bats or is it the cape that makes people think of bats.
Of course modern vampires do not dress like that. Do vampires fly?
Catherine

Some vampires fly. Maybe that's why they associated them with bats. so they could fly?
If I were going to suggest some movies, I would say:
1) "Underworld", of course
2) "Firefly" [sadly, a short lived tv series]
3) "Serenity" [the movie made from the "Firefly" tv series]
4) "The Fifth Element"

......Just for starters.....
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
Some vampires fly but for the most part in recent years they just jump really high. Giving the illusion of flying but still, back to my point, cat like. I now want a shirt that says "vampires are really cats. Think about it."

I absolutely love Underworld now. I use to see it come on TV all the time but never got into it until recently when the 4th movie came out. Then I had to get them on Blue-ray Smile I would be happy to see at least one more movie with the Selene and Micheal characters because the last one left me wanting more. Then maybe one more back ground story about when Marcus and William were bitten. I have a lot of inquiries about the story surrounding them. Then they can be done with the series as far as I'm concerned.

All great!!!
1) "Underworld", of course
2) "Firefly" [sadly, a short lived tv series]
3) "Serenity" [the movie made from the "Firefly" tv series]
4) "The Fifth Element"

I would like to add:
-Blade
-Doctor Who [the 2005 series] (netflix)
-Revolution (netflix)
-Lord of the Rings trilogy [careful because if you find the extended versions they will be 4hours a movie. still a great story either way just warning you to be prepared]
-The Hobbit
There are tons more but these would keep you busy for a year at least

In the Lord of the rings movies there is a neat story behind one of the main actors. He fell in love with his horse so much that when they finished the movies he bought his horse. His stunt double fell in love with his horse too but didn't have the money to buy the horse so the main actor paid and gave the horse to his stunt double. I wish I could remember the guys name. I can see him very clearly in my head.

I had to look it up. I believe is was Viggo Mortensen if I'm not mistaken. I'm running out of time right now but I will look it up later today.
I did my research, it was Viggo. I started a new thread for it. here is what I found.
http://www.animalloverswebforum.com/show...hp?tid=323
(01-14-2014, 03:45 PM)Catherine Wrote: I have no idea where the vampire idea came from. Any ideas?

Actually, there's a possibility that part of it stemmed from some form of Porphyria. It's a disease that causes photosensitivity that's so bad the affected people can barely go out into the sunlight without getting blisters. It also causes some mental disturbance and a "necrosis" of the gums which causes them to shrink back from the teeth, probably causing a fang-like appearance.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porphyria

I also heard about something similar that required the person to get blood transfusions, but I don't remember where I heard about it or what it was called...

As for the vampire and bat association, vampire bats tend to drink the blood of cows while the prey is sleeping -- much like vampires do (at least in Bram Stoker's legacy of vampires). He maybe knew of the disease and the bats, and thought he could combine the physical symptoms of Porphyria with the behavior of the bats to make a very terrifying monster.

Also, some movies I'd recommend:
1. The Matrix
2. MirrorMask (very weird, but very cool, especially if you're a fan of Neil Gaiman)
3. Immortals
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time. --Steven Wright / http://www.zyggywebs.com / tech support & web design, I'm always happy to be of assistance!
Good movie suggestions. I have seen and love Serenity/Firefly. I have seen Matrix and Fifth Element. I did see Lord of the Rings, but I have not seen the Hobbit yet. I will have to look into the other movies you suggest.
I love the story of horses being "adopted" after the movies. It tells me that the bonds we saw in the movie were real.

Porphyria makes sense if you link it to vampire bat legends. It is also hereditary so you would have whole families with problems. If they can't handle sun exposure they would tend to be nocturnal and would look pale.

There are other blood disorders, but none seem to fit the pattern. The various anemia's don't cause photosensitivity.
The vampire legends come from a particular part of the world. Maybe there was a certain mutation causing a type of porphyria that started the whole vampire idea.
Any how, I have started watching Supernatural. I have 8 seasons to catch up on.Smiley4
Catherine