Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Manatee Rescue program
I was just reading about rescued manatees being returned to the wild and I realized there is an active rescue program going on. It has been at work for years. Of course it is called the Manatee Rescue program. It is better to keep things simple and direct.

They have worked out the best way to help injured and orphaned Manatees recover and grow. Two zoos in Ohio hold them in their display until they are stronger. Then they spend a short time in a Florida facility before eventual release. A number of Manatees have been saved this way.

This is the most recent form of the article:
http://www.whig.com/article/20171021/AP/310219865

I like the fact that Manatees that cannot be released because of injuries are still cared for and given a chance at life. 
It would be wonderful if all the Manatees could be released, but some are too badly injured. 

This program has done much to increase the Manatee numbers. Over 40 animals have been returned to the wild. Those will have gone on to raise more Manatees of their own. This is the help the Manatees need if they are to survive the impact of humans on their survival. They are gentle and slow moving. We threaten them in so many ways.

I wish the latest releases every success in life.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I love Manatees! I'm so glad to hear there is a rescue program! Did I ever tell you about how Kasey and I had 2 two different manatees two different days swim past us on our vacation last year? It was so cool once we realized what the first one was. I can still remember what the nose looked like when it came up for air 10 feet from us. The guy on a float next to us freaked out thinking it was a shark. I knew it wasn't anything to be scare of even if I didn't know what it was at the time.
You were lucky. Most of us will never see a manatee up close. They are different looking, but nothing like a shark.

It is good there is a rescue program. So many of them get hurt. It sounds like they have it well organized and it is clearly working.

It would be worth a trip to Cincinnati just to see the manatees that are recovering there.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine