Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Salmon returned to spawn.
Quote:We humans should hang our heads in shame at what we have done. Humans - and only humans - are to blame.

We have done more damage than any other species, any other event other than the massive asteroid strike 65 million years ago.
Perhaps we are worse because we are unraveling the whole structure of ecosystems from within. We are causing extinctions over and over again.

I don't know if this can be fixed. Salmon return to the place they hatched, to lay their own eggs. We would somehow have to cause salmon to hatch in the spawning ground. I don't know if this can be done. Can we get fertile eggs. Would it work. 
If it did we would still have to protect the species so the numbers could increase. 

We are working to save the monarchs. There is milkweed planted all over and flowers for the butterflies to feed on. Planting gardens for bees has become a serious business. We are all working on it.  We are pushing for big buildings to turn out their lights so they don't kill migrating birds. 

When it comes to the salmon I feel helpless. I learned about the hatchling salmon returning to the ocean and then coming back years later to lay their eggs. It is one of the earliest science lessons I remember from school. So what will they teach the children now? Will we tell them that we had this amazing planet, but we messed it up real bad so many amazing things are now gone forever. The planet was passed on to us as a trust from previous generations. We were supposed to pass it on intact. 
How do we explain that we broke it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
No Salmon returned to spawn. - by Catherine - 10-30-2017, 03:18 PM
RE: No Salmon returned to spawn. - by LPC - 10-30-2017, 06:29 PM
RE: No Salmon returned to spawn. - by Catherine - 10-31-2017, 02:01 PM
RE: No Salmon returned to spawn. - by Tobi - 11-02-2017, 10:55 AM
RE: No Salmon returned to spawn. - by Catherine - 11-02-2017, 03:14 PM