Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bath time

Buddy hates getting a bath but loves how it feels after. He gets frisky.
It is funny how Mia watches your every move. I was surprized to see her go into the bathroom. Isn't she scared that she will end up in the tub?
Buddy seems to not really mind too much. It probably feels really good.
Dogs just don't want us to know that they like bath time.Smiley4
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's so funny watching these bathtime doggies!
Misty hated baths too. I didn't give her too many. But she definitely got one if she had been rough-and-tumbling with Jet in the field (!) (He used to like 'bathing' himself in pond water! But after that he really needed a team of exterminators! lol

I think dogs hate it because it's something 'being done to them'. Many are very happy to launch themselves into water at any given opportunity....but notice how coy they become when 'bathtime' is mentioned?
If only we could have a dog wash set up where the dogs leap into clean sudsy water and run through a sprinkler that is clean rinse water. Do you think any of them would be fooled?
Catherine

I get the idea! Like a car-wash for dogs. There could be a sausage suspended from a chain, and which moves along, then as the dog chases it, soapy water comes out, and some soft brushes.....then further along, warm clean water (to rinse)....followed by an air-dry.
And the dog gets the sausage in the end!
Now why hasn't someone invented one of those contraptions??
Actually I was thinking of a "car wash" for dogs. That is exactly the image I had in my mind, but I couldn't think of any way to get them to go through the thing. The sausage is perfect. Of course they would follow it. When they get the sausage in the end they will want to come back again.
I am picturing a dog that wants to "dog wash" every day because he likes sausages.Smiley4
Catherine

Yes, a lot of dogs would be up for that.
Misty wouldn't have had anything to do with it! She hated baths AND car-washes. I think she would have passed even on the sausage!
We would have to find a special sausage or treat that a dog would find irresistible. Maybe they would need sausages at different stages of the Dog Wash. It sure beats the usual way of washing a dog. There might need to be different sizes since what would work for a Great Dane might be too much for a Chihuahua.

The idea might need a little refining, but it would be great if someone tried it. It might change dog grooming as we know it.
Catherine

Make the bath area a fun place. Start by leading or carrying your dog into the bathroom and giving her treats and praise. Let her exit the bathroom when she wants, then lead her in again with treats and praise. Repeat this several times a day for a few days. When she is happily entering the bathroom, start throwing treats into the bathtub and help her into the tub to retrieve them. Encourage her to stay in the bathtub for a minute then let her out if she wishes. Praise her for staying calmly. Repeat until she is comfortable in the tub. Start running the water from the faucet or sprayer and give her treats and praise. Don’t put water directly on her yet. Continue this until she is no longer scared when she hears water running.
That would work, but I like the "Dog Wash" idea. It has entertainment value. I get a laugh just thinking about it.Smiley4
Catherine