Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man saves 1000 animals during California fires
There are still incredible stories coming out of California. The owner of a nature preserve called Safari West stayed behind when every one else was evacuated. His own house burned to the ground. He  stayed with the animals. The story of his night fighting the fire alone is the stuff of legends. It should become a movie. He just did everything he needed to all night long. Lots of garden hoses helped. He had to keep hosing himself down. He couldn't save all his buildings. Some of his fences are gone, but he saved the animals.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/specialsect...west-owner

This is an amazing story. He just ran from fire crisis to fire crisis and never gave up. He is certainly very creative and resourceful. 
He must have a very good bond with his animals. They trusted him enough to let him move them to safety when it was needed.
I am glad that funds are coming in to help him rebuilt. He deserves all the help he can get.
The other remarkable thing is his age. He is 76 years old. He is certainly not slowing down and "acting his age".
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

What a moving and heroic story. Peter Lang is a special person. He did what he had to do at the time, and he saved many animals. You are right, it would make a very good movie. He certainly does not look 76. I am sure that's because he doesn't sit on his behind all day moaning about how achy and old he is getting! He did a remarkable job and I hope he and his wife can get their home re-built.
I am just amazed at what he did. After the fact it was an amazing feat, but at the time it must have been an unending nightmare.
He had no way of knowing that he would succeed in protecting his animals. He deserves some kind of recognition for what he did. 

When the going gets tough, animal lovers dig in and do what it takes to protect their animals.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine