Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
170 dogs rescued from Korean dog meat farm
It is always good news when dogs are rescued from dog meat farms. Towies Peter Wicks traveled to Korea and with Humane Society International has rescued 170 dogs. Thirteen of them are coming home with him to England.

https://www.google.com/url?rct=j&sa=t&ur...9JvxY65gBQ

It doesn't end the whole dog meat industry, but for 170 dogs it is over. 
It is going to take much more work to end an industry that has been profitable. 
The industry needs to become unprofitable and public opinion needs to be strongly against it.
I suppose every rescued dog is an advertisement against the dog meat trade. When enough dogs are rescued people will be able to see in the faces of those dogs just how cruel the industry is. 

Bringing dogs back to England is a great idea. People need to actually touch the dogs and know that they were meant to be killed and eaten.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I don't know who Towie is, and I have never heard of Pete Wicks....but what a strong good young man he is to get involved with this cause, and to give so much help! Bless him!

I am presuming "Towie" might be a music band? And Pete is probably very well known with a big following?

This sends a message to all his fans, doesn't it? When any famous person gets involved with a worthwhile cause, it gives so much publicity to that cause. That's what we need.

That is a very good rescue.
(12-03-2017, 03:26 AM)Tobi Wrote: I don't know who Towie is, and I have never heard of Pete Wicks....but what a strong good young man he is to get involved with this cause, and to give so much help! Bless him!

I know nothing about pop music, so haven't heard of them, either.

I'm delighted for the poor dogs who have been saved from horrendous conditions and a terrible fate. He clearly has a kind and compassionate heart.

But I just hope that the rescue did not involve paying money to the dog meat traders. That will only encourage them to continue, as they don't care from whom they make money: from people wanting dog meat to eat, or from those seeking to rescue the dogs. Ultimately, paying up only keeps the wheels turning: more dog thefts, more suffering. What is needed is strong, very strong, international pressure on the South Korean government to make the practice illegal.

To quote from the article you cited, Catherine:
"The dog meat farm in Namyangju is one of an estimated 17,000 dog farms in South Korea that breed more than 2.5 million dogs a year for human consumption."
That is mind boggling. Strong action is needed, and needed now.
Quote:I am presuming "Towie" might be a music band? And Pete is probably very well known with a big following?

I looked Towie up and it is a reality TV show.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...zPiOpeDm6f

It should have a good following so the dog rescue will reach many people.

With 17,000 dog farms producing 2.5 million dogs it is going to take a lot of work to shut the industry down.
In the end only the government can stop the dog meat trade. It would require action on the government level. The government will only act when the majority of the people want to end the trade.

These rescue events are like bailing the ocean with a teaspoon, they are not going to be able do it, but they make people aware of the fact that there is an ocean. In this case it is an ocean of dog's blood. One spoon won't do it, but when everyone bails it becomes possible.

I know it is bad to give money to the dog farms, but it might be necessary sometimes to rescue dogs so that people can see these dogs and understand the need to stop the killing.
Catherine

I would go so far as to impose a complete blanket ban on all South Korean imports, as that would hit the government hard; most of its money is made through export of electronic high-tech items. The only way to lift such a ban would be to abolish the dog meat trade.

Unfortunately, sanctions and trade bans are almost always used for political reasons, and very rarely for ethical causes.
Quote:Unfortunately, sanctions and trade bans are almost always used for political reasons, and very rarely for ethical causes.

You are right. We can't expect the government of any country to impose bans or sanctions on South Korea because of the dog meat trade.

That doesn't mean we can't impose a ban as individuals against buying South Korean goods. We already don't use products from companies that test on animals. We don't use products containing palm oil from plantations that are killing the orangutans.
It may take time, but if all animal lovers boycotted products that caused harm to animals  or products from countries that allow harm to animals, we would have an impact. 
It is very slow though. 

Remember the Nestle boycott. It is an example of a company being boycotted by a movement rather than a country. We worked hard on that boycott in the 70s.
There is still a need to boycott Nestle. They have new violations.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...ej_QhjNyvv

I hope with the internet we can focus on boycotts more and get the message out better.

We certainly can boycott the Olympics in Korea. I know none of us were planning to go to Korea, but we can also refuse to watch any Olympic broadcasts or read any papers. We can even refuse to talk about the Olympics other than to mention the dog meat trade. In other words, we can be annoying for a cause. If enough people  were to refuse the Olympics it would be noticed. We could contact our local TV stations and ask them not to broadcast the Olympics because of the dog meat trade.
This is the biggest area where we can have impact. I am sure there are petitions that we can sign as well.

I am sure Korea wants the Olympics to go well and gain their country world wide recognition. They won't want bad publicity.
Catherine