Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What else can go wrong?
People in Toronto are starting to put in fire places. Gas or wood burning fireplaces will give heat if the power is out.
Power outages happen too often. We can get ice storms. It rains when it is really cold and ice coats everything. 
In 2013 the ice storm killed 20% of our trees. Some streets lost 80%. I lost all my butterfly bushes. They split right to the ground. I had power, but some people were without electricity for weeks. Actually about a quarter of a million people were without power over Christmas.

We are learning to be prepared for emergencies.  If I had cut my butterfly bushes down and covered them, they might have survived. 

You are already prepared for an emergency. You have a stove and fireplace that run without electricity. You can heat and cook on either and if you have to you can burn anything. I hear you about the plumbing. I can leave a tap inside running a little to prevent freezing. Of course the third floor could get really cold. Draining the system is the safest way. We have had to do that when work is being done on the plumbing. It does make noise doesn't it when you turn the water back on.  I also have food that can be eaten cold if there is no way to cook.

I think living in the country you are more prepared to be self sufficient, but in the city we are learning. If I had to drain the plumbing I would want to save the water in case I need it. 

If you had to you could sit up and feed the fire or at least get up every hour or two. It is not the best, but it would be better than freezing. You would probably be out in the storm hiking to check on Sally Cat and bringing her home to your warm place. Winter is tough, but we are tougher.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Messages In This Thread
What else can go wrong? - by Catherine - 12-15-2017, 11:41 AM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by Catherine - 12-15-2017, 12:33 PM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by Catherine - 12-15-2017, 01:38 PM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by Tobi - 12-16-2017, 03:13 AM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by LPC - 12-16-2017, 08:34 AM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by Catherine - 12-16-2017, 05:03 PM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by Tobi - 12-17-2017, 07:24 AM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by Catherine - 12-17-2017, 05:11 PM
RE: What else can go wrong? - by Tobi - 12-18-2017, 02:52 AM