Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the bunnies may have to go
Quote:The lady who I had Bob off wants to do a swap, him for a pair of Netherland Dwarfs (seems like she wants him back). I can't swap until the rest of the lionheads are gone because of space, so now she is trying to help me sell them by referring me to people. She definitely wants Bob back.

I can understand her wanting him back. Bob is sweet. It works out perfectly if she swaps. You get the dwarfs you want and she gets Bob.
Do you still have a lot of bunnies to find homes for?

It is fun waiting for the litter to open its eyes and then you have to wait to see which ones are what you want. It will be weeks before you actually get the new babies. You will have then just after Spring starts. I can't wait to see pictures. The smaller bunnies are easy to handle. You will love them.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(02-12-2014, 04:25 PM)Catherine Wrote:
Quote:The lady who I had Bob off wants to do a swap, him for a pair of Netherland Dwarfs (seems like she wants him back). I can't swap until the rest of the lionheads are gone because of space, so now she is trying to help me sell them by referring me to people. She definitely wants Bob back.

I can understand her wanting him back. Bob is sweet. It works out perfectly if she swaps. You get the dwarfs you want and she gets Bob.
Do you still have a lot of bunnies to find homes for?

It is fun waiting for the litter to open its eyes and then you have to wait to see which ones are what you want. It will be weeks before you actually get the new babies. You will have then just after Spring starts. I can't wait to see pictures. The smaller bunnies are easy to handle. You will love them.

Looks like I won't be having the nethies off her after all. Apparently the one pair turned out to have vent, which I believe is a serious disease and they can't be bred with because they will pass it on. She's treating them for it but she's also having to rehome a lot of her own rabbits due to this. The woman who gave her the rabbits is continuing to sell the kits from these rabbits, knowing full well that they very likely have vent and therefore no good to breed with. She still wants Bob, and at the moment someone else has shown interest in him.

I have now sold another 3 rabbits. The fawn coloured one went on Saturday afternoon and the variegated and the fawn & white doe went last night. Unfortunately these people didn't bring boxes with them so I had to supply 3 boxes which I was keeping for the guinea pigs because they love cardboard boxes. Why don't people bring a carrier if they know they are going to be taking a rabbit home?
I am glad the bunnies are finding homes. You are right, it is a mystery as to why people do not plan for a way to take an animal home. It means you are having to constantly search for the right boxes.

What is vent? From what you say, it is serious, but I have not encountered it. Is it only a rabbit issue or does it spread to other animals. Too bad the other lady is having problems. Not good that the one person is selling animals knowing they have a problem. Maybe Bob would be safer somewhere else if vent is catching.

I am sure you will find dwarf rabbits somewhere else, but it would have been nice to have them from someone you know already.
Catherine

(02-18-2014, 05:55 AM)Catherine Wrote: I am glad the bunnies are finding homes. You are right, it is a mystery as to why people do not plan for a way to take an animal home. It means you are having to constantly search for the right boxes.

What is vent? From what you say, it is serious, but I have not encountered it. Is it only a rabbit issue or does it spread to other animals. Too bad the other lady is having problems. Not good that the one person is selling animals knowing they have a problem. Maybe Bob would be safer somewhere else if vent is catching.

I am sure you will find dwarf rabbits somewhere else, but it would have been nice to have them from someone you know already.

I can't spare any more boxes so when people arrange to come and look/buy a rabbit I will tell them to bring a suitable carrier to take the rabbit home in.

Vent from what I have read is pretty serious. It's Rabbit Syphilis, so that should give you an idea. The lady asked if I wanted to take these two rabbits in as now they have been treated and should be okay. I'm a bit skeptical about it so I've said no for the time being. She is still going to have Bob back, and she also said she will have the Harlequin (Treacle) when the kits have been weaned.

The hutches are now empty. I've moved Treacle and the kits into a cage in the old shed, Bob has gone into the cage Princess was in and Leona is in the block of cages at the top.
Vent sounds pretty bad. I just looked it up and it really is rabbit venereal disease. It is a similar organism to human syphilis. It sounds like it can be put into remission, but not completely gotten rid of.
I did not know rabbits had such serious problems.

You do need to be careful where you get your breeding stock from.
It is too bad that someone is willing to sell infected stock. I can't imagine that the outcome is good if it is untreated.

You must be feeling more under control with the rabbit numbers down.
With the hutches empty you can take the time to clean them and set them up for the new rabbits when you get them.
Keep us posted.
I hope Bob is happy to go back to his old home. I liked Bob.
Catherine

It's like a game of musical cages in my sheds at the moment. I've moved Leona again, this time into a small hutch in the old shed and now I have the top block empty so I was thinking of putting the boars I'm keeping in there for the moment. I've got a lot of guinea pigs that have to go as well. So, been busy updating my website and listing the piggies for sale. I got more boars to sell than sows, but in total I have about 20 pairs of boars to sell and 10 pairs of sows. I just sold a pair of sows yesterday, Lily and Sweetpea (cream and black), and someone has paid a deposit on another pair and will be collecting them a week on Sunday.

As for the rabbits, I need to rehome Leona, the black otter buck and the 3 kits. The big hutches are empty now and soon another couple of cages will be empty too so will have the room to keep the other rabbits. I may be collecting the single Netherland Doe next week. Possibly, the mini lops the week after. The sellers have agreed to hold on to them for a couple of weeks. As for the pair of Netherlands, they were born about 2 weeks ago so it'll be another 6 weeks before I will be able to collect them. The lady is sending me some photos later so I can see what they look like.
It is like a game isn't it. If you move this animal here, then that one goes there and so the other one can go over there and then this one can fit in the other spot and so on and so on.

So you sell your boars in pairs. That is a good idea. I do think the guinea pigs like to be in pairs and groups.
Your place must seem like a mad house of comings and goings with piggies and rehoming rabbits going and new bunnies coming in.

Is it easier to look after them all without so many Lionheads.

I can't wait to see the new ones.
Catherine

(02-23-2014, 04:39 PM)Catherine Wrote: It is like a game isn't it. If you move this animal here, then that one goes there and so the other one can go over there and then this one can fit in the other spot and so on and so on.

So you sell your boars in pairs. That is a good idea. I do think the guinea pigs like to be in pairs and groups.
Your place must seem like a mad house of comings and goings with piggies and rehoming rabbits going and new bunnies coming in.

Is it easier to look after them all without so many Lionheads.

I can't wait to see the new ones.

Yes, on the move again! I'm going to move the boars I am keeping into the top row of the block of cages, then move the sales boars into that big cage once I have cleaned it out. That will leave an empty big cage which I may move into the old shed and use it for sows that are staying. Which means the young sows can be moved across into the old shed.

I do prefer to sell the boars in pairs but sometimes that doesn't happen. I have someone who is just buying the one boar because at first the husband said they could only have one guinea pig. She did ask to have this one and Sherbert because she couldn't chose between them. Unfortunately, Kipling and Sherbert didn't get on and had been fighting. I had to move Sherbert out because he wasn't happy. So, she is just having Kipling. I have noone else he can go with because he tends to terrorise any other boars that go in with him! He's already picking on Apollo and Nougat in that cage!

It's been a lot better without so many Lionheads. Will be even better once the remainder has gone. There's just Bob left in the new shed in a big cage, and once he and Treacle have gone, it just leaves Leona, the Black Otter Buck and the 3 kits from Treacle/Bob.

Going to go and collect the first of the new rabbits on Wednesday morning. A black and white Netherland Dwarf Doe. I told my husband that I need to go to Walsall to pick her up. He said, what about the rabbits that you haven't sold yet, I said that's okay, I have space now the hutches are free. Besides, I had to buy her! Smiley4
Sometimes it is good to shift things around. It breaks up the monotony of always having things the same.
It sounds like you are hiving quite a shuffle.

Too bad Kipling has to go alone, but if he is fighting, maybe he wants to be alone. He doesn't like other boys. I still can't figure out why I get away with three boys together and now Robbie has joined them and Murray visits them. How is that possible?

You will no doubt miss the Lionheads a bit, but you won't miss the work. Of course you need to get the little black and white doe. I bet she is pretty. I can't wait to see her. Does she have a name yet?
Catherine