Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
the bunnies may have to go
You are right, the little bunnies are easier to care for. You should be able to care for them the same way you care for the guinea pigs. They could use the same size hutches too couldn't they? Certainly the grooming would be easier.
The Lionheads are so cute, but they must be a lot of work. It is too bad your daughter isn't really interested. I am sure she likes the bunnies and likes the idea of having them. But real interest translates into helping look after them.

Lots of people want certain pets, but they just don't want to do the work. Lots of the neighbourhood kids have wanted hamsters and even piggies from me. I have always said yes, but they had to come by after school and help for a few weeks. All they had to do was help with the pet they wanted to get. So far no one has come by, ever!

You have to do what works for you. You can't wear yourself out because it stops being fun. Even when it is work, it should still be fun.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That's what I was thinking. They would be just like the guinea pigs and I can handle that, but with these lionheads it's constant grooming because the bedding sticks to the fur and gets matted in it and they look a mess. Cute they may be but they aren't a lot of fun. I just wish my daughter would understand. She keeps saying I will look after them, I will start going down there etc etc but she doesn't do what she says and if she does it's just a couple of times if that.
The little short haired bunnies would be so easy. The babies would be so cute.
I can see where the grooming would be a problem. I have one long haired Peruvian Guinea pig and I give him haircuts. In the really hot summer I cut his hair really short. He likes it and stands quietly while I do it. I just don't think rabbits are as cooperative.

If a person had one or two lionheads they would have the time for grooming, but you are like me. We have multiple pets and things have to be quick and easy. All my setups have to be simple to look after.
It defeats the purpose of having the new shed and everything set up right if you are run off your feet grooming rabbits.

It is a tough lesson for your daughter, but one that we all have to learn. If you want a pet or anything else, you have to do the work.
Catherine

(02-07-2014, 02:49 PM)Catherine Wrote: The little short haired bunnies would be so easy. The babies would be so cute.
I can see where the grooming would be a problem. I have one long haired Peruvian Guinea pig and I give him haircuts. In the really hot summer I cut his hair really short. He likes it and stands quietly while I do it. I just don't think rabbits are as cooperative.

If a person had one or two lionheads they would have the time for grooming, but you are like me. We have multiple pets and things have to be quick and easy. All my setups have to be simple to look after.
It defeats the purpose of having the new shed and everything set up right if you are run off your feet grooming rabbits.

It is a tough lesson for your daughter, but one that we all have to learn. If you want a pet or anything else, you have to do the work.

With my long haired guinea pigs I usually give them a trim so their hair is manageable. Sometimes it gets matted but I've never had problems with the bedding getting tangled in their fur. They are quite good sitting still for a trim, except Rosie, she fidgets and squeaks and squeals so loud you'd think I was hurting her!Confused She just hates a haircut!

I have sold one of the rabbits today. I'd just put an advert on Preloved site and not long after I got a phone call on my mobile asking if they could come round and have a look at the rabbit. It was the Black Otter Doe and the man who came liked her and paid for her. So, that's one that's gone to a new home!

I have decided on getting a pair of Netherland Dwarfs and also a pair of the mini lops, so hopefully these will be better to look after when the time comes. I will let you into a little secret, Catherine, I have already bought a Netherland Dwarf Doe, paid for her via paypal and the lady is holding onto her until I can have her. She's black & white and gorgeous and I knew she would have to come and live in my shed Smiley4
Netherland Dwarfs are sweet little rabbits. I am glad you already have one on the way. It will make the transition easier. I am sure the other Lionheads will rehome very quickly. I don't know how you could house them and not have bedding tangled in the fur. Their hair is woolly looking. They are much bigger too, aren't they?

I think the guinea pig hair is silkier. They look cute when you cut their hair. It makes them look like babies again. Poor Rosie. Some piggies just don't like having anything done to them.

I can't wait to see the mini lops when you get them. They are really a nice looking bunny. I am sure all the minis will fit in better with the guineas. Everything you have can be geared to a certain size and that is easier. Smaller is less work.
Catherine

(02-08-2014, 05:02 PM)Catherine Wrote: Netherland Dwarfs are sweet little rabbits. I am glad you already have one on the way. It will make the transition easier. I am sure the other Lionheads will rehome very quickly. I don't know how you could house them and not have bedding tangled in the fur. Their hair is woolly looking. They are much bigger too, aren't they?

I think the guinea pig hair is silkier. They look cute when you cut their hair. It makes them look like babies again. Poor Rosie. Some piggies just don't like having anything done to them.

I can't wait to see the mini lops when you get them. They are really a nice looking bunny. I am sure all the minis will fit in better with the guineas. Everything you have can be geared to a certain size and that is easier. Smaller is less work.

I found a breeder local to me for the mini lops. Got in touch with her and I'm having a doe from out of one litter which will be ready to leave in another two weeks time but the lady has said she can hold her for a couple of weeks so will have to collect her around then. She has another litter due around now and I will have a buck from that so it will be unrelated to the doe I am having so that one I will have when he is 8 weeks old.

Now, I hope that I can sell the lionheads fairly quickly. Just got to advertise Leona, Bob, Treacle and the kits. As for the black & white one, I am leaving that one til very last because of my daughter. She is starting to accept the idea that the rabbits have to go but not the black and white one yet!
I wish your daughter would jump in there and start helping. If she really wants the black and white one she needs to look after it. I guess she doesn't want it that much.

It sounds like you are set for mini bunnies. What colour are the lop eared babies or does the breeder know yet.
You have a dwarf female lined up, but what about a male? Is there a good match for her any where.

I am sure the Lionheads will go quickly. They are such beautiful rabbits.
Catherine

(02-09-2014, 04:23 PM)Catherine Wrote: I wish your daughter would jump in there and start helping. If she really wants the black and white one she needs to look after it. I guess she doesn't want it that much.

It sounds like you are set for mini bunnies. What colour are the lop eared babies or does the breeder know yet.
You have a dwarf female lined up, but what about a male? Is there a good match for her any where.

I am sure the Lionheads will go quickly. They are such beautiful rabbits.

I wish she would too but I seriously doubt she will, which is a shame. She still hasn't even come down the shed to even have a cuddle with the black & white one (I did though).

The lop eared doe that I am having is a black otter, I believe and she looks a beautiful bunnie. I don't know what the colour will be of the buck yet, but he will come from the litter due now.

I've also been in touch with someone who keeps the netherland dwarfs in Kidderminster, and I can get an unrelated pair there. They have a couple of litters due so depending on whether I like the colours (she's sending me photos of the colours so I can see if I like them or not). Plus I will have an extra female to use (the black & white one).

Also, the lady who I had Bob the Lionhead off, has been in touch with me. She said she has some netherland dwarfs that need rehoming. Thing is, I don't want to go mad and get loads - been there and done that Smiley4.
It is hard not to go wild and bring home every beautiful bunny you see. We have all been there and done that about some animal or other.
It sounds like you have good choices and can set up a nice breeding colony. If they are all babies you have time to get used to them and set up care routines before they start having babies.
So now you just have to wait and see what colours are in the litters and make your choices.
I can't wait to hear about them and see pictures. Little rabbits are really sweet. The Christmas Bunny that stays with me is a dwarf rabbit and he is so sweet and very clean. I never have to groom him. He has always been spotless and litter trained. If your bunnies are as easy you will have no trouble with them.
Catherine

(02-10-2014, 04:08 PM)Catherine Wrote: It is hard not to go wild and bring home every beautiful bunny you see. We have all been there and done that about some animal or other.
It sounds like you have good choices and can set up a nice breeding colony. If they are all babies you have time to get used to them and set up care routines before they start having babies.
So now you just have to wait and see what colours are in the litters and make your choices.
I can't wait to hear about them and see pictures. Little rabbits are really sweet. The Christmas Bunny that stays with me is a dwarf rabbit and he is so sweet and very clean. I never have to groom him. He has always been spotless and litter trained. If your bunnies are as easy you will have no trouble with them.

I had an email yesterday from the rabbitry in Kidderminster saying that their 3rd litter had been born and once they have opened their eyes at 10 days old they will let me know if there is BEWs, which is what I wil be having to go with the other kit from the other litter. Will have to wait and see.

The lady who I had Bob off wants to do a swap, him for a pair of Netherland Dwarfs (seems like she wants him back). I can't swap until the rest of the lionheads are gone because of space, so now she is trying to help me sell them by referring me to people. She definitely wants Bob back.