Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Warnings about dog flu
There are five confirmed cases of dog influenza in Ontario. These dogs caught the flu from dogs being imported from South Korea. It is hoped that the cases are confined to those five. Dogs in this area have never been exposed to the virus so they have no immunity.Most dogs are also not vaccinated for the dog flu.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/fi...-1.4484892

I did not know that there is such a thing as dog Influenza. 
This out break is worrying because it could spread through the vulnerable dog population. It is also a warning that we need to quarantine dogs being imported from places like South Korea. I don't think we need a really long quarantine period, but we do need something.

The possibility of the dog flu combing with certain human strains is also worrying. It would be a virus none of us have immunity for.  This is a wake up call to be careful when moving animals around from country to country. It is also good to vaccinate. It gives the immune system a chance to fight new viruses.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I am usually quite wary of vaccination -well, the "over vaccination" protocols. But there is a time and a place. And this is it. A virus no-one has immunity for which could easily mutate to affect both dogs and humans, and maybe even other animals is something we need to stop in its tracks -if we can. Quarantine seems to be the best answer, sad though it is for the dogs involved. And vaccination for all the others.

I have only begun to hear of "dog flu" in the last couple of years. Before that I had no idea dogs could get flu.
Right now it is just the two original dogs and the five they infected. They were all in close contact. However there is always an incubation period and until that passes there is a danger. No doubt dog flu will travel around the world. Vaccination ahead of that would prevent a lot of illness and probably save lives. 

It is like the raccoon rabies. If we vaccinate enough in the area of the outbreak we may stop it from spreading. Some vaccines are a good thing. We should still be quarantining animals that are being moved long distances. We are a long way from overcoming infectious diseases. I am sure there are viruses that we haven't encountered yet.
Catherine

That's very serious situation. Can you please tell me that flu can affect the dog sitter? Actually, my husband started dog sitter as a part-time business and I am worried about him. He also recently got insurance from a company. (Direct link to Pet Sitting Insurance company removed as Forum policy does not allow direct links.) Can this flu also affect the dogs of UK?
I have found a link to the CDC  information page about dog influenza. It will answer most of your questions.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/canineflu/keyfacts.htm

So no, people do not get dog influenza at this time. No one can predict how the flu will mutate.

Right now there is a dog flu outbreak in Ontario. It was brought in with a shipment of rescue dogs. In future I hope that the observe better quarantine procedures.

England has good quarantine rules so it should be protected. Unless the dog flu is already there it would be hard for it to get there.
Catherine