Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animal Abuse at Petra, the Unesco World Heritage site
It is sad to think that at a place like Petra, an ancient site of human civilization, animals a regularly abused. Horses, camels and donkeys are used to transport tourists up steep rocky paths. They work long hours without food, water or shade and are routinely beaten. They receive no medical care and often have injuries and sores. They lead miserable lives of over work and abuse and malnutrition.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42692743

https://investigations.peta.org/fly-infe...-in-petra/

Petra may be the site of ancient civilization, but it is not the site of modern civilization. There is nothing civilized about how we treat animals there. There need to be some serious changes in the treatment of the animals. Maybe it is time to stop using animals at all. I am sure we can find a better way that doesn't involve animal cruelty. There is always a better way.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

This is typical....I won't say any more as it is really unfair to generalise about a people or country.

I am glad to see PETA is trying to do something about it.

I remember going for donkey rides on the beach when I was a kid. That was in the UK. No-one gave a thought to those donkeys and how they were treated, I'm sad to say. They were just there for our amusement. Even I didn't think of it. They all appeared a bit depressed and resigned when I look back with hindsight. They didn't respond to much except doing what they were told. They didn't even relate to the children riding them.
Every country has a history of using animals with no regards to their needs. It is bad that people are still abusing animals when we know better now. 

They will have to treat the animals at Petra better or the tourists will start boycotting them. I hope the publicity is enough, if not then we need a real boycott.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine