Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dog walkers van stolen
When I first heard the story, the dogs were still missing. Now we know it has a happy ending we can relax and find out what happened.
A dog walker was dropping off a dog when she encountered a robber who took her van, dogs and all.
The word went out that a van full of dogs was stolen so everyone was watching for the vehicle. He couldn't go far with it.
The man had enough sense to abandon the van and leave the dogs unharmed.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&...vvX2p7yfot

It must have been terrifying for the dog's owners and stressful for the dogs.
This is not the first time this has happened. A van full of dogs was taken in Toronto in 2016. Again, everyone was searching. 
The dogs were found unharmed.

I don't know what can be done to prevent things like this. Criminals should know by now not to touch a van full of dogs or a car with a child in it. Everyone will be watching for the vehicle. They can't go far without being spotted. People are motivated to call the police. An ordinary stolen car is on its own. Nobody cares except the owner. Once there is a dog involved it changes everything.
Maybe dog walker's vans need some level of security before the vehicle can be driven. Clearly locking the van and taking the key was not enough.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Phew! Thank goodness the robber didn't get far. The dogs probably didn't mind so much as the dog walker and other people involved. They wouldn't know they had been stolen and were in danger.

A "driver's code" would be a good idea, so long as it worked! Sometimes highly sophisticated things fail and only an expert can get them working again!
Just hearing the news was terrifying. We all had to think about what might happen to the dogs. Even if the guy had turned them loose it would have ended badly.  He was smart to just leave the van in plain site. The search for it was never going to end. The police would be searching and so would the dog owners and all their friends. There would be a find the dogs Facebook page with pictures. Social media really mobilizes for missing dogs and children.

The only way out was to leave the van and let the dogs be found. What a relief when that was announced.

Maybe certain types of vehicles are going to need a password before they can be driven. The technology would be simple. Of course you are right, if it glitches there would be a problem. We all know how modern technology glitches.
Catherine

(01-21-2018, 05:16 AM)Catherine Wrote: Even if the guy had turned them loose it would have ended badly.  He was smart to just leave the van in plain site.

Maybe certain types of vehicles are going to need a password before they can be driven. The technology would be simple. Of course you are right, if it glitches there would be a problem. We all know how modern technology glitches.

Yes it was good that he just dumped the van with the dogs quite safely inside it. However that would have been dangerous in itself if tempertures were below freezing or it had been a hot day. And depending on how long it took to find the van, the dogs could have been in danger from dehydration. Fortunately it worked out.
But I wish car thieves would not steal cars with anything alive inside it!

Yes systems glitch sometimes. I know from experience. My electronic key fob suddenly refused to work one day when I had parked my car some miles away. It wasn't too many miles to walk home, luckily. I remembered I had a spare at home. Next day, walked back, and that one worked fine. But it did make me long for the old fashioned days when a car opened by using a key in a lock!
Quote: Yes systems glitch sometimes. I know from experience. My electronic key fob suddenly refused to work one day when I had parked my car some miles away. It wasn't too many miles to walk home, luckily. I remembered I had a spare at home. Next day, walked back, and that one worked fine. But it did make me long for the old fashioned days when a car opened by using a key in a lock!

Even keys can "glitch" sometimes. A  friend in the neighbourhood tried everything to get his key to unlock his car. A number of us gathered to help and it just wasn't working. I am the one who sort of fixed it. I stepped back and really looked at the car and yes it looked like his car, but it wasn't his car. His was further down the street. This was the same make and model and colour, but it was not his car.  
That was more a case of user failure. It wasn't the key's fault.

I know what you mean about those key fobs. They usually work, but sometimes they don't. I use one somewhere, but I found it can't be upside down or it doesn't work.  You must have been frustrated with all that walking for nothing. What would you have done if you had been 30 miles from home? 

Cars being stolen with children and dogs is becoming a problem. In some cases the cars have been left with the motor running and the keys inside. In this case she encountered a robber and he took her keys. I don't know if there was any way to safely prevent that from happening.
Catherine