Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Street animals and scientists
This is an interesting and complex article. I think it deals with a number of issues, but the primary one is the interaction between street animals and scientists who are doing field work in various countries.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-018-01018-0

There seems to be no plan or order to the interactions. Some scientists adopt the animals and bring them home. Some find them homes. Others just feed the animals for a while.
There is no doubt there is a positive interaction. Some of the stories are beautiful. They are stories of people falling in love with a dog in need and rescuing it.

Ultimately it brings up the question of what to do about street dogs and cats. Right now there is no global plan. Most countries have no plan. The numbers of street animals just keeps climbing. It is hit or miss whether a dog will find a home with a scientist, a tourist or just end up on the streets for the rest of its life. 

Just a thought, since scientists are visiting many places that have street animals and the scientists seem to care, could they possibly organize something that would have lasting impact. Something needs to be done about the increasing numbers of street animals. Groups that regularly visits sites with animals could find ways to help. Maybe at the next big conference that involves field workers some time could be given to the street animal issue and possible solutions. Someone has to do something and local governments don't have the will or the ability to fix the problem humanely.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(How strange...I am sure I posted a reply to this yesterday, and it's not here!)

Anyway....yes these stories are heart-warming. But the problem of street dogs and cats is such an overwhelming problem worldwide. The founders of the charity "Soi Dog" started as tourists in Thailand, saw the desperate need those animals were in, and packed up from Britain to go to live in Thailand and help the animals. They were moved to that extent.

It's a happy ending for those dogs and cats who were noticed by the scientists, and helped. What they can do about the rest....well that would take some organising by people devoted to creating a charity, and working hands-on every day. The scientists have to go home. They have jobs to go to.
But let's hope their stories will highlight the problem of street animals, and maybe carry over to those who are able to put some action in motion. There are many rescue groups who work tirelessly to help, all over the world.

Yes so much of the time it's a spay/neuter method of control. That helps. But what helps more than anything is "hearts and minds" and the attitudes of local people to these animals.

Also we have to bear in mind that in some countries, many animals are not treated as they would be in more "western" places. Many are "free-range" and wander the streets although they belong to someone. In some countries, veterinary facilities are very basic also and many locals cannot afford much vet care anyway (depending on which country.)
Quote:(How strange...I am sure I posted a reply to this yesterday, and it's not here!)
I have done that a number of times over the years. I think we fail to post the reply even though we wrote one. It may be a glitch in the software, but I my case I simply forget to hit post reply. I do it when I am really tired.

On a local level there would need to be more organization. Random scientists are only helping a few animals. I just wish the scientists would connect with the organizations helping street animals. If they are going to be in an area regularly then they could organize help for the animals who are attracted to their presence. Maybe they could arrange to bring supplies when they come.
They could bring veterinary medicine and vaccines. One suitcase each trip could make a big difference to animals who lack even basic rabies vaccinations.

We should have a global goal to eliminate rabies. I know it is in many species, but there has to be direct transmission. If we vaccinated enough animals in the world we could stop it from being transmitted. Scientists should be open minded enough to want to be part of a rabies elimination program.

It is just a thought.
Catherine

I think the scientists could perhaps do something more to help. I agree with you about everything you said Catherine. What those individuals have already done is tremendously positive. But the problem is a big one, and needs more organisation.
Scientists do have organizations  or they could start something new. There are also rescue groups in some areas. Scientists that regularly visit areas could take much needed supplies. I know people who take holidays in poorer countries who arrange to bring an extra suitcase each time filled with things that are needed where they are going.

This could be done for animals too.  Tourists who care about animals could do the same thing. The big thing would be getting vaccines and medicines to places that need them. Even a little bit of help would make a difference  to places that have few resources.

It is fine to rescue one dog, but it is sad to leave the rest behind.
Catherine