Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Happy Groundhog Day
Rainbow 
Those of you who live in North America know what I mean. We have had winter forever and we are tired of it. Feb 2, Groundhog Day is the halfway point of winter. Whether the Groundhog predicts an early Spring or not, the first day of Spring is 6 weeks away. I am not expecting an early Spring, but at least knowing it is only 6 more weeks means there will be an end to this dreary miserable cold winter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groundhog_Day

I understand that Punxsutawney Phil is the most famous Groundhog. Having your own movie will do that.

Don't count out the Canadian Groundhogs. We have Wiarton Willie and Shubenacadie Sam. It seems there is a new Groundhog in town. I just found some info about a Dundas Donna.

You’ve heard of Wiarton Willie, Shubenacadie Sam and Punxsutawney Phil. But a new girl’s in town and her name is Dundas Donna.

Toronto’s very own weather prognosticator will make her debut on Groundhog Day at Yonge-Dundas Square this Sunday.

Not only is this brave Groundhog trying to break into the prognostication scene, I notice she is also breaking the gender barrier. We have never had a female Groundhog before and never one right in down town Toronto. I don't know why not. There are Groundhogs all over the place. Lets see how well she does.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Ha, ha! That's an interesting thread, Catherine. Many in Europe will not know what a groundhog is, or what the custom involves. To be honest, until a few years ago I had never heard of Groundhog Day. Then my son told me about the film and suggested that I get a copy. That was when (whilst researching the background to the film) I learned what a groundhog was and about the customs surrounding it.
I for one will be anxiously awaiting the results, even though I can never remember what seeing vs. not seeing his/her shadow means. Someone always has to translate for me, lol!!
But what the hey, "Happy Groundhogs Day" everyone!!
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
If the Groundhog sees his shadow, there will be six more weeks of winter. Of course winter is over in six weeks anyhow, but who is noticing that fact on Groundhog Day.
I trust the Groundhog to get the weather right. If you can't trust a Groundhog, who can you trust.

I encountered Groundhog Day the movie on a night flight across the country. I kept falling asleep and every time I woke up they were doing the Groundhog scene. It just seemed to happen all night long, the same scene each time I woke up. It was freaky.
It turns out that the theme of the movie is the guy repeating Groundhog Day over and over until he gets it right. So the groundhog scene was repeated over and over and each time I woke up it was a different Groundhog day scene.
I think the version I "saw" was far more unusual than the real movie.Smiley4
Catherine

For anyone who doesn't know the film, here is a very clear description: http://www.transparencynow.com/groundhog.htm
Do the predictions only apply to North America, or can we infer our weather from them too?Smiley4
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
I have seen the movie many, many years ago. The one with Bill Murray, right?
I found it rather amusing the first time I saw it.
If you kept falling asleep Catherine you were in perfect time with the movie. Don't worry you didn't miss anything, lol!

Cibach: Do you mean like you will have six more weeks of summer?
[Image: m0223.gif] Come join the fun! [Image: m0218.gif]
mypetsonparade.com
I'm inclined to agree with the Groundhog. I'm always very wary of those days usually at the end of January or beginning of February, when the spring flowers are starting to come out, and the sun shines, so you have to take your coat off. It was like that today here.) I call it a 'false spring'. What usually happens is a really cold spell comes some time shortly after it, bring winter back in full-force! We can even have snow in April sometimes, but definitely March. And the winter has been ominously mild so far, though dreadfully wet.
Ground hog day has come so quick!

I saw the film for the first time back in December.
Quote:Ground hog day has come so quick!

Sadly we cannot say the same thing about Spring.
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/02/02/...94749.html

Having watched the news video, I can safely predict that we are all collectively getting a little crazy about the winter weather.

Now I know we are crazy!
http://www.citynews.ca/2014/02/02/dundas...as-sqaure/
She is not even a Groundhog!

Sadly or happily I think the predictions are local. Those of you in Britain and Europe can have hedgehog day if you like. I think it might work. It might even be the origin of watching animals to predict an early Spring.
And if it is summer where you are, do you really want to risk getting six weeks of winter, right in the middle of summer.

Groundhog day is our own brand of winter madness.
Catherine