Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
taking in a new piggie
This morning my hubby's son sent him a text to tell him that a friend of his found a guinea pig in his garden yesterday and noone seems to have lost one so he asked me if I would take it in. They sent a photo of it and it is a gorgeous tricolour. The friend has named it Princess but whether it is in fact a female I don't know. I just couldn't say no, she/he needs a loving home and I do have space.

I will let you know when the piggie comes and post some pics of her/him.
Meet Princess, my first rescue piggie and my first Tricolour Teddy.
[Image: 2014-02-03184212_zpsd17327cc.jpg]

She has some fur missing on the back of the neck due to her previous owner picking her up by the scruff of the neck. How can people treat animals like that? I'm glad I said I would take her in, she's gorgeous and now she's safe. She has settled in well, was a bit nervous when I put her some food in but she was getting stuck into the greens by the time I came out of the shed. I have no idea as to age but I think she's quite young.

When the people came who had found her in their garden in the early hours this morning, they said that they knew it belonged to their neighbour and when they took her round the neighbour said she didn't want her back. So, they were stuck with a guinea pig until the chap spoke to my husband's son who he works with and he suggested me. I had Princess on my lap for a while in the house and she loves a bit of fuss!!
Congrats on your first rescue.Smiley32

She is a lovely girl and a Teddy! That is amazing. Her colours are so sharp and distinct. The white is snow white, the black is jet black and her red is really red. She is a nice piggie and I am sure she already feels safer because your other piggies will tell her all is well.

Princess is the right name for her. Heart After her abandonment she deserves to be treated like a princess. Of course all your piggies are treated like royalty so she will be just fine. Smile
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(02-04-2014, 06:59 AM)Catherine Wrote: Congrats on your first rescue.Smiley32

She is a lovely girl and a Teddy! That is amazing. Her colours are so sharp and distinct. The white is snow white, the black is jet black and her red is really red. She is a nice piggie and I am sure she already feels safer because your other piggies will tell her all is well.

Princess is the right name for her. Heart After her abandonment she deserves to be treated like a princess. Of course all your piggies are treated like royalty so she will be just fine. Smile

Well, Princess has settled in really well. I kept her in quarantine until yesterday when I was happy for her to go in the sows cage. She'd put on a lot of weight (just watching out to see if she is pregnant or not). Anyway, she was put in with the sows yesterday, and she is certainly showing her authority in there. I went in last night to feed and I noticed all the sows except Princess were all huddled up the one end of the cage and she was at the other end. They seemed rather nervous of her, can't think why as she's a friendly little thing. If they are the same with her today I will have to relocate her.
They can't be scared of her. She is not that big. Guinea pigs are funny. Maybe they are just reacting to her being new and in a day or two they will have forgotten all about it. Of course she could be pregnant and they know it or did she live with other guinea pigs. Something must be making them act strange. If the new girl was aggressive you would see signs in her behavior.

Let me know what happens. I am curious about their reaction to a new pig.
Catherine

(02-18-2014, 06:00 AM)Catherine Wrote: They can't be scared of her. She is not that big. Guinea pigs are funny. Maybe they are just reacting to her being new and in a day or two they will have forgotten all about it. Of course she could be pregnant and they know it or did she live with other guinea pigs. Something must be making them act strange. If the new girl was aggressive you would see signs in her behavior.

Let me know what happens. I am curious about their reaction to a new pig.

They seem to have calmed down a bit now and seem to okay with each other. When I put Princess in I also put in three other young sows, so they may have been a bit nervous being in there at first. Anyway, I have a happy cage of sows now so I am happy too Smiley4
Guinea pigs are so funny. Feed them together a few times and they forget everything, but the food.

I am glad your girls are all happy together again. It makes it nice for Princess. She has a happy guinea pig family to live with. She is a lucky little lady. She will always have lots of company living with your lot. I do think guinea pigs do not like to be alone.
Catherine