Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sow Stall Ban -6 EU countries will be forced to comply
There is action being taken against the six European countries who so far, have refused to implement the Sow Stall ban.
(In intensive farming, sows have been kept in tight cages, during the whole of their pregnancy. This inhumane practice has been banned by the E.U. and has made a difference to the pigs' welfare in the UK, and other countries, yet some countries still flout the ban.)
Belgium, Cyprus, France, Finland, Greece, and Slovenia are still not complying with the legislation.
Now they are being brought to account by the European Commission:

http://www.ciwf.org.uk/news/pig_farming/...l_ban.aspx

It sounds very much as though these countries will be forced to adhere to the new legislation which came into effect 1st January 2013. Let us hope that works out well.
It's only one small move in support of the rights of animals kept in intensive farming conditions. But each small step will eventually take us somewhere.

Thanks to the work of Compassion in World Farming.
(02-12-2014, 04:30 AM)Tobi Wrote: It's only one small move in support of the rights of animals kept in intensive farming conditions. But each small step will eventually take us somewhere.

Thanks to the work of Compassion in World Farming.
Indeed! Every small step is better than no step at all.

I know of one farmer locally here in France who has stopped pig farming all together because of the costs involved in changing over to the new system - and I've heard of many doing the same in France.

This will ultimately mean less pork being produced and prices going up. But I'm not going to weep for the farmers or the consumers. Compassion is supreme. Such cruel methods of farming should never have been permitted in the first place.

To be honest, I'm not a great fan of EU bureaucracy, but in this case - hoorah! Smiley34
Once in awhile bureaucracy does something right.Smiley58

This is actually a big step. This and the hens in tiny egg laying cages symbolized an attitude to farming and farm animals. The changes show that we are not willing to accept these things any more.

Now if we can just ban Foie Gras.

I am surprized at which countries are stalling on doing the right thing.
Maybe changes like this will help move us away from such heavy meat consumption. We eat too much for our own health anyway. Maybe we will start rethinking food and our whole attitude towards it. Even the way we produce fruits and vegetables has a certain violence towards the land.

I look forward to a kinder future. Heart
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes Foie Gras is one of the most horrible things ever invented. I cannot believe it hasn't yet been banned outright.
Who ever thought up an idea like Foie Gras. It is inherently cruel and why would any one want to eat something like that.
We are so weird when it comes to food. There are a lot of things that I wonder about.
Why did they ever house pigs like that in the first place?
Catherine

(02-13-2014, 03:50 PM)Catherine Wrote: Why did they ever house pigs like that in the first place?
The intensive farmers would answer that pigs are happier in the warm, that keeping mothers confined in a cage prevents them lying on their baby piglets and crushing them, that piglets can be more easily supervised when all in one place, etc. I know all their arguments...they are just a cover, a whitewash.

The real truth: it was more productive and gave the farmers more profits. I have seen these awful cages with my own eyes on a French farm. The noise and heat is terrible. My younger son, when visiting us a few years ago, said these words to me after being shown round by a farmer:
"It was like a vision of hell - if it existed".
Even Dante, the great poet, in his epic The Inferno, could not create a circle in hell that is as bad as what these animals endure. He was talking about people that he felt belonged in Hell. These animals have done nothing except to be born in a Hell we created.

If Dante were writing his poem now he would need to create a whole new section of hell for the people who came up with such ideas. Others may have followed them, but someone had to think it up.

We are not even healthier for eating so much meat so in the end we harm ourselves. No one wins when greed is the motivator. And cruelty to animals does not bear good fruit. How do the farmers sleep at night?
Catherine