Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nature: Animal Odd Couples
Its a show I found on Netflix. It's very cute and sweet. It talks about the science behind why animals of other species are able to become friends. And how scientist are still learning about animal behavior. The horse and goat story is a tear jerker. I highly recommend it.
I must look for the show. It sounds interesting. It must be natural for different species to become friends with each other. It happens so often, it can't be just chance. I would love to hear the science behind it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

well the science is basically that they have just started accepting that animals have friends and they still don't know much about anything but it is interesting hearing about the friendships. Deer and dogs, a blind horse and goat, a lion and coyote... they show others too but those they really go into detail.
I guess it makes as much sense as people having friends. Think about it, many of your friends are probably very different from you. A lot of my friends are not really animal people. Many are not interested in the things that interest me. Why are we friends, I don't know, but we are. So is it so odd that a fox and a dog become friends or a goat and a horse. Friendship defies logic anyhow.Heart
Catherine

I absolutely love these inter-species friendships and love-matches.

You have good friends who are quite unlike you....probably because you have a big heart Catherine, and are not narrow in your views, and the same must go for those whom you know.
But yes, it is interesting to think of those we have made friends with, over the years....some with 4 legs, some with 2!

One of my best friends, the most loyal and true -was the smelliest, grungiest creature anyone could possibly imagine (and I am nice and clean! And so was Misty!) But there was no doubting he was one of the best!
(Mind you -I didn't host dinner parties with him!)

The scientific explanation for those inter-species relationships.....I think it is something to do with Oxytocin??

I always think that would make the BEST chemical weapon! No-one would feel like fighting any more. All they would want to do would be hug and kiss and have a party! LOL! (So long as both sides bombed each other with it -of course! haha)

This is even more crazy!!! Wild Polar bears befriend sled dogs.
Polar Bears and sled dogs, who would have thought it possible!

Thank-you for your kind words Tobi. I guess it is a measure of our openness and caring when we have friends of many different backgrounds.
I have even had an eight legged friend. I consider the spider that lived above my shower to be a friend. We shared space. I was careful to watch out for her before I showered and when she laid eggs and then helped them hatch, she trusted me enough to let me watch. There were 53 babies. She is gone now, but she was fun and interesting.
Oxytocin! Is that what does it?
We should be adding it to our food and water. If it would calm world tensions it would be worth it.

I always thought guinea pigs would ease world tensions. They make soothing sounds and they just bring out good feelings when you care for them. Maybe they trigger oxytocin production in humans.
It would be worth looking into.
Catherine

HAHA I had a spider friend once. She/he(?) lived in the bathroom in a niche behind the wash-basin. At the time it was bitterly cold weather and I don't have a heater in my bathroom. I used to leave the door wide open so some warmth would drift upstairs from the stove for her! I found a dead fly on a window-sill, and put it in her web (thinking she would just throw it out) well she didn't! She ran out, pounced on it, and took it back into her den! (Really appreciated!)

I love the sled dogs and polar bear videos! What a wonderful thing to happen. I like that the bears come back to visit the dogs every year.
I never thought of feeding my spider friend. Of course there are lots of things for spiders to eat around here.
My bathroom is freezing. Whoever built the place did not plan to heat it properly. The whole layout is weird. It does appeal to spiders however so at least someone is happy.

I love seeing animals getting along like that. I am amazed at Polar Bears playing with dogs. I know the bears will eat dogs and anything else. So the need for companionship is greater than the need for food.
Food is mere survival, but companionship is having a quality of life.
There is more depth to Polar Bears than we thought. Also dogs will be friends with anyone.
Catherine

What impressed me was that the bears were very very hungry. Yet they valued friendship and play more than their need for food! It was so beautiful to see this.