Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Biodiversity Loss in the 21st Century: The Sixth Mass Extinction
(06-26-2018, 02:51 PM)Catherine Wrote: Zoos are actually working to protect biodiversity. The prezwalskis horses now exist in the wild, but they were wiped out many years ago. It is only because of the zoo populations that the species still exists. They are just zoos any more. They are arks build to save biodiversity. There is now a long list of species saved by zoos and returned to the wild. Others we don't know if they will survive, but zoos are trying.  
In desperation they even have frozen genetic material preserved as a last chance to save a species and to keep genetic variation alive within a species.

I know now, about the wonderful work these zoos are doing. I am glad to have been educated about that work in the last few years. You are right Catherine, such places are nothing like the zoos of the past.

What funding do they get....for instance, do you know what the funding source is for the Toronto Zoo? Do they depend on charitable donations, fundraising ventures, or are they government funded?
I have never asked that question before and honestly don't know....so forgive me if it's a silly question I should know! Smiley4

Messages In This Thread
RE: Biodiversity Loss in the 21st Century: The Sixth Mass Extinction - by Tobi - 06-27-2018, 02:01 AM