Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My new rescue canary
Someone found a canary in a back alley. The poor little bird was desperately trying to find something to eat and drink. The guy scooped the bird up and came running into the reptile centre for help. (we also have birds)  I was there so I took her in and set her up in a little temporary cage.
[Image: kHZYEKyvfw-DhHDQoYqYbTX7BwtJxS57_-da55oM...=w489-h275]
I have never seen a bird so hungry and thirsty. She just drank and drank. She has been out for a while. Her feathers are dirty and ragged and she is missing part of a foot.
She is a beautiful colour and very perky. So I took her home to live with my male canary, Russet.
[Image: cxc9f2t5SBo-NPBLXG4B7kCTECDZQo39wVGUwE1l...=w388-h275]Russet is a gentle bird and he is alone now.

So here she is in my big bird cage.
[Image: fvvPRUIyCY49yK83BVumEUXzMK689od-5qDLn_rk...=w155-h275]
I made sure there is food and water all over the cage and she spent the whole day eating and then grooming. She looks much better already.
The two birds also spent the day getting to know each other.
[Image: QpPNTRnmqGhqhLdrXBujYhhtiLm7c0SlNh79Bfnl...=w155-h275]You can see Russet up top and the female on the bottom.

[Image: hA8fT5SVZ4vgbWAvW2zxihwm61NkNrmFMbc3yZzI...=w155-h275]She is working her way up the cage.

[Image: wT6zYXXQgVGLyboBJUB0-ul3s4gBp8vv0pBVSD5H...=w155-h275]They are clearly looking at each other.

[Image: Z3Tw3Qxl8OUbiJE9nLNJ47Io09i8b6mAHutxBM39...=w155-h275]I think they are doing fine together.

They are sleeping in separate spots, but Russet likes the highest perch and she is sleeping next to a food dish. She is still so hungry.
Now I just need a good name for her.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Oh what a pretty little bird. Poor thing, she must have been so long without food and water. She might not have lasted much longer without help.  She looks so nice there with Russet. I hope they get along well together. It does look like a good start. He seems to be accepting her.
I think they are getting along just fine.
[Image: jb-eHCx8eS-RMaJKQdzlLypyyGSPKVLp3BhqyPVl...=w292-h275]
[Image: C91qf2CcD7FP2aTssB1U01O1vSmbP0MGgrUPpx9J...=w358-h275]She is up on Russet's  upper perch and he is glad to have her there.

It is fun to watch her discover just how much she has now. I am putting out two food and two water dishes and extra treat dishes. She just goes from one to another and samples each one. 

She has been out there awhile. Her feathers are fairly ragged. There has been no notices anywhere about a lost canary. 
I have a feeling she was just turned loose because she wasn't wanted. She has a secure home now and she has a friend who clearly likes her. Now she just needs a name.

She is a brave little girl who did her best to survive. She needs a good name.
Catherine

Oh, that canary has fallen on her feet at last! I am sure that she is so happy now, in a loving home, good food, and even a boyfriend with whom to share a cage! Have a happy life, dear Rouge! (That's my suggestion for her name, as she has red colourings and the name goes nicely with Russet.....Russet and Rouge)
They both seem very happy together and dear little Rouge is looking much cleaner and brighter. Rouge it is, I think the name suits very well.

Rouge was lost outside and Russet was alone. Now they are a little family. It is just in time, the weather turns colder by Thursday.
Catherine

Rouge is a lovely name, and I am glad she made it to your place just before the weather turned. She will be glad to be warm and cozy and with a food dish never too far away! She has a Guardian Angel!
Rouge is doing very well and the weather has turned. She wouldn't have survived last night's storm. 
She does love having a choice of food and lots of it. She sleeps pretty close to a food dish. I am sure she missed a few meals before she was found.

The two canaries are good company for each other. The cage is full of life again and song.
Catherine

(09-07-2018, 03:47 PM)Catherine Wrote: Rouge is doing very well and the weather has turned. She wouldn't have survived last night's storm. 
She does love having a choice of food and lots of it. She sleeps pretty close to a food dish. I am sure she missed a few meals before she was found.

The two canaries are good company for each other. The cage is full of life again and song.

How lovely. Bless little Rouge.
Rouge is a cheerful little bird and I think she has brightened Russet tremendously. She has lots of little chirps and is always active. I think just watching her has given him new life. Maybe he will start singing again.
Catherine