Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ghost Gear killing ocean animals
Ghost Gear is lost or discarded fishing gear. A staggering amount of coast gear is in our oceans right now.
Many marine animals are caught in the ghost gear and die horrible deaths. Larger marine mammals are sometimes saved, but for countless smaller animals no help comes and no one notices their deaths.

https://observer.ug/business/57275-ghost...imals.html

We already know we have a problem with plastic in our oceans. This is a different level of problem. Animals become entangled because ghost gear is often fishing nets and they are designed to entangle. 

How are we going to fix a problem so large.   Every year we add another 640,000 tons of ghost gear to the oceans.
Picking up a few nets and unentangling a few animals is not even close to a solution.

I do think fishing boats should bear some responsibility for their own gear. If individuals were responsible surely there would be less ghost gear pollution. Could it be that the design of nets is faulty. If so much is lost then we must be doing something wrong.
This is now a global problem and like many other ocean issues we are going to need a global solution.
What we need is a young genius who is already tackling the oceans plastic problems. dare we hope for a solution from the creator of Ocean Cleanup?
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(09-21-2018, 03:51 PM)Catherine Wrote: What we need is a young genius who is already tackling the oceans plastic problems. dare we hope for a solution from the creator of Ocean Cleanup?

Maybe he will be able to help. This is a dreadful problem and I had no idea of the magnitude of it until I read that article.

I hope someone can come up with a large-scale solution.
Magnets??? (how....what ....feasibility....how it could be operated....I have no idea. But my first thought was magnets.)
Fishing gear quite often has metal components.
Quote:I hope someone can come up with a large-scale solution.
Magnets??? (how....what ....feasibility....how it could be operated....I have no idea. But my first thought was magnets.)
Fishing gear quite often has metal components.
I never thought about the metal in the gear. There must be some way to collect it. Magnets are a possibility. They wouldn't hurt those living in the ocean.

I think we are only just learning how vast the problem is. I had no idea so much fishing gear is lost.
Catching it all and removing it all is a big job. We have treated the ocean as a giant garbage can and now we find we have turned the oceans and the planet into a giant garbage can.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine