Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Save elephants, stop ivory trade
Quote:During the CITES annual meeting on the first of October 2018, China, Kenya, the Philippines, Thailand, Tanzania and Uganda were released from their duties regarding the reporting of their actions against the ivory trade.

Legal and illegal ivory trade is what fuels poaching, and this trade in turn finances organised crime, terrorism and aid corruption. Up until this month, all countries involved in the ivory trade were required to send a report (the National Ivory Action Plan) stating the situation, issues and the actions taken to decrease such a trade. Following the favourable submissions made by the countries themselves, with no verification whatsoever, the countries listed above were granted exit.
This is absurd! First and foremost, there should be an independent verification system in place to make sure that the reports submitted reflect the actual situation in each country. Second of all, a favourable submission should not be grounds for a "free pass," especially in such a delicate moment for large african mammals.

Every 26 minutes, an elephant is killed.

https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/442/759/223/
Signed. These countries should be ashamed.
Why would they do such a foolish thing. If we want to stop poaching and the ivory trade we need to be more vigilant. There should be more reports and more verifications.

I signed the petition and I will post it elsewhere.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

That is ridiculous. Of course that wouldn't work. There is so much corruption in a lot of those places. Elephants shouldn't be the one's to pay for it.
Look Elegant. Save Elephants. The Elegant Ellie.
TheElegantEllie.com
I find myself wondering what sort of person still wears ivory knowing that an elephant is killed to get it.

We need stronger laws and bans not less.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine