Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Smart" petfood bowl
Like any other "smart" product it connects to the internet. Its purpose is to control how much a pet eats. It closes if the pet eats too much.

https://boingboing.net/2019/01/03/smart-...s-whe.html

Interesting product, but it misses the point of bonding with a pet by feeding it directly. Also the dish that needs to lock because of over eating probably belongs to the person.  The people who over feed their pets probably are over feeding themselves.

That being said, it does make sense to control a pets food intake. Studies show that fat pets have a shortened lifespan.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2019...lthy-pets/

So keeping a pet slim and trim is a kindness. It gives the pet a full life. I don't know if a smart food dish is the answer. Perhaps a good walk with the dog and a healthy, balanced meal might be better.

If you have a parrot like an African Grey all smart products might be a problem. The parrot could arrange extra meals for the dog just by ordering them in your voice. Right now there is an African Gray Parrot that has out smarted Alexa and can order its own food.
It might be safer to just do things the old fashioned way.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

...Kind of hilarious (re: the African Grey Parrot whom I heard of the other day, ordering all sorts via Alexa!)
The Parrot could probably find out how to open the locked pet food bowls!
Dogs' best friend is no longer a human, but an internet-savvy Parrot!

....But kind of scary re "smart" anything....
They put out harmful EMFs. It is better not to be "smart". (my opinion only.)

It's a gadget. Do we need any more gadgets to interface between ourselves and our animals?
Do we need any robotic thing to take our judgement away?

Nope.

It's easy. If an animal puts weight on, then it's less food and more exercise. It doesn't take long to find the healthy balance.

(However....that excludes Sally-Cat who has a fat belly every winter for mysterious reasons; presumably because unless it's sunny outside, her favourite occupation is sitting like a teapot-cover next to the little radiator! Then going to bed.)
Maybe the Parrot could order some boot camp sessions for her via Alexa....? Smiley4
I agree, we don't really need some of the smart products on the market. It is great that we have products and gadgets that make life easier. However some things are silly. If I want a light on, I flip a switch and it is on. People with things like Alexa stand there and say "Alexa turn the lights on", Alexa turn the music on, Alexa order me  a big bag of parrot treats.  You can see why the parrot loves it. The parrot and the dog could start working together. If you make the parrot mad, it could say, Alexa change the locks. Alexa would bring in a locksmith and do it. When you come home you only get in if the parrot decides to let you in.

We have started to let the gadgets run our lives. 

Having a pet should be a human/animal interaction. If some gadget feeds the animal and perhaps some day walks it then why have a pet. If all you do is sit there and tell a gadget to do things for you I wonder how alive you really are.

I don't know about Alexa and Sally. Would Sally learn to charm things out of Alexa. Does Alexa respond to purrs.

There is a fine line between great labour saving devices(my new blender) and ridiculous ones like Alexa. I wouldn't consider Alexa to be helpful. I would consider it a bother.
Catherine

(01-05-2019, 03:25 PM)Catherine Wrote: People with things like Alexa stand there and say "Alexa turn the lights on", Alexa turn the music on, Alexa order me  a big bag of parrot treats.  You can see why the parrot loves it. The parrot and the dog could start working together. If you make the parrot mad, it could say, Alexa change the locks. Alexa would bring in a locksmith and do it. When you come home you only get in if the parrot decides to let you in.

79 I am very grateful for that laugh just right now Catherine!
I get a laugh just thinking about it. The parrot could lock the person out unless they come bearing gifts. Some of those parrots are very clever, especially the African Greys. Alexa might even like the parrot better because it talks to her all day.
Catherine