Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Methods of Cane Toad eradication inhumane
The RSPCA is against current methods of killing Cane Toads because they cause undue pain and suffering. Currently people pour Dettol on them or hit them with golf clubs.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...clubs.html

There is no question that current methods are cruel. Yes Australia needs to do something about the Cane Toads. However cruelty towards them is not the answer. The one suggestion of giving guns to children to shoot them does not seem too good either, but for a whole lot of reasons.

The Cane Toads are part of wide spread struggle with invasive species all around the world. We introduced them and now they are a problem. How do we get rid of them. We were not thinking when we released various species around the world. Now that they are a problem, I think it matters how we correct the problem. I don't think wide spread cruel eradications speak well for our humanity. What ever solutions we find, they must be acceptable in an ordinary sense. If the method would be considered cruel in a different situation, then the method is wrong. Finding ways to stop the eggs from hatching or the toads from breeding will not only be kinder, they will probably be more effective. 

I think we need a global strategy on invasive species and how to deal with them. I just hope we have learned our lesson about not releasing things in places they don't belong.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Humans yet again! We go on introducing non-native species without thinking about the consequences. Somehow we just don't get it....we go on making the same mistakes, year after year.

You are quite right, Catherine. We caused this problem in the first place, so we have a strong moral obligation to find a humane solution. BTW I couldn't find any reference in the article to the suggestion of children being given guns to shoot them. That sort of crazy idea would only be possible in the USA, surely? I didn't think guns could be given to children in Australia, although I don't know the law there very well. Such an appalling idea would only reinforce the idea in young brains that killing is OK.
An Australian politician, Bob Katter, has the idea of arming children with rifles and having them kill Cane Toads.

https://www.9news.com.au/2019/01/11/12/2...d-politics

It seems unbelievable to us that someone would come up with an idea like this. Bob Katter is an elected MP so a lot of people must agree with his ideas. Not only is it cruelty to animals and very dangerous, I think it qualifies as a form of child abuse.
Children being pushed into killing animals are going to be traumatized by the experience. Those that are not traumatized, who actually enjoy the killing, would be sent in the direction of becoming killers. We know there is a link between animal abuse and human abuse and even serial killing. Even if they succeeded in eradicating the cane toads they may actually create a much bigger problem with the children and the effect on them. There could be hundreds of children with serious problems.

If they want to reduce the toads numbers and even get rid of them they need to work with biologists and determine a way that works. Finding something that will make the toads less fertile or the eggs less likely to hatch  is probably the way to go.
For the feral cat situations in many cities, it has worked to neuter the adults so there are no more feral kittens. Neutering the toads isn't the solution, but making them infertile might help. Preventing the tadpoles from maturing might be an answer.
There are reasonable possibilities. Giving guns to children is not a reasonable solution. I hope no one actually takes the suggestion seriously and acts on it.
Catherine

Thank you for the new link. I am dumbfounded, simply dumbfounded.

I must quote some of that man's words:

"....'It'll give a bit of fun for our kids and a bit of pocket money for them as well,' the crossbench MP told reporters in Townsville on Thursday...."

and

"Asked whether it was appropriate for children to be using air rifles, Mr Katter stressed the weapons would be low power before breaking out in laughter. 'Some of my friends have tried to hurt people but that's not going to happen - they're pretty harmless,' he said."

I take it all back. I thought it was only the USA that was gun crazy. It seems now that this Australian politician is going further and wanting to pay children to kill animals - for fun! Plus he seems to find the matter amusing, laughing about it.

As for the core issue of these toads spreading rapidly, it was human stupidity and interference in the environment which caused this situation. I quote again from the article:

"Cane toads have had a huge impact on native animals since being introduced from Hawaii in 1935 in a failed bid to eradicate beetles infesting sugar cane and spreading across most of northern Australia."

We humans caused this tragic situation. It is now a moral imperative to find a humane solution to this environmental disaster.
I just thought I might jump in on this one.

Cane toads have been a pest in Australia for a long time now. They were introduced to protect sugar cane plantations from pests, and they don't have any natural predators to keep numbers at bay. Hence the extremely large number of cane toads in northern Australia now. Dettol and Golf Club's are two methods some people use when killing cane toads, many others however actually capture them and freeze them.

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/poison...h9oiz.html

Freezing is not a particularly popular choice, as having a frozen cane toad in a bag nearby your food can turn some people off this idea. However, it is the most humane way apparently.

In regards to the firearms, I highly doubt that this proposal will go ahead. The electorate Mr Katter represents is in the Western part of Queensland and contains nearly entirely farming towns and communities. He is a big fighter for farmers rights and for supporting farmers, which may be part of the reason he wins elections. He is also quite known for having 'out-there' views and ideas on some topics.

I will also mention that around the time Mr Katter made these comments, another senator (who is also known for being blunt and having 'out-there' views), proposed a plan of their own for controlling cane toad numbers. I'll spare everyone the technicalities, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mr Katter's remarks were made as a bit of a joke directed at the other politician. This would be why others here have said he appears to be laughing about it.

My last little comment in regards to controlling numbers. If you could find a way to do so I'm sure you'll make a fair dollar. I don't particularly know what research has gone into sterilising them, but researchers have recently deciphered their genetic code. http://theconversation.com/weve-cracked-...ion-103362 There has been research into using viral infections to control them, but they are not a reliable method as they also kill regular frogs. So I guess this is a watch this space for any possible genetic modification methods to control them.
Welcome to the forum, Wrax! I think I know you from "another place", haha! Your insights are always valuable. I leave you to introduce yourself later, when you have time. In the meantime, I can assure the other admins on this forum that Wrax knows a lot about animals and will be a valuable member.
Welcome to the forum, Wrax.  It is interesting to hear from someone who in in the area troubled by cane  toads. 
They are a serious problem and they are doing a lot of harm. There introduction was a mistake and they didn't do what they were meant to do.

That being said I do agree with LPC that  "We humans caused this tragic situation. It is now a moral imperative to find a humane solution to this environmental disaster."

Even if he is joking, suggesting giving guns to children is not a good idea. Suggesting that children kill toads is not a good idea for the sake of the children.
Using inhumane methods to kill toads is also not a good idea. Most people are not going to be able to kill a cane toad quickly by hitting it with a golf club. Poison is usually a slow cruel way to kill things. I don't think it does any of us good to be involved in the inhumane killing of an animal even if it is a pest. Also the cane toads didn't ask to come to Australia and none of this is their fault.

If freezing is humane and they intend to kill the cane toads then it should at least be done by freezing then.

However if it is just random people killing toads here and there, then the numbers will stay the same and they will be killing cane toads indefinitely. If the cane toads need to be removed then there needs to be a plan that reduces their numbers quickly all over. Finding a way to limit their fertility is still the best. Maybe collecting the tadpoles would work. Can they collect the eggs.  Can they stop the eggs from hatching. This is the direction things need to go if the cane toads are to be reduced or even removed from the environment. It would be better to plan and carry through a plan. The plan needs to be humane and it also needs to be efficient. 

I don't know what the answer is for the cane toads or any of the other introduced species around the world. We are going to need a global policy on how to deal with introduced species. It is a global problem. Too many countries have species they need to deal with and there is no clear idea on how to do it humanely. I am not sure every country feels the need to be humane. 
However we caused the problem so we have an obligation to make it right.
Catherine