Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Methods of Cane Toad eradication inhumane
I just thought I might jump in on this one.

Cane toads have been a pest in Australia for a long time now. They were introduced to protect sugar cane plantations from pests, and they don't have any natural predators to keep numbers at bay. Hence the extremely large number of cane toads in northern Australia now. Dettol and Golf Club's are two methods some people use when killing cane toads, many others however actually capture them and freeze them.

https://www.smh.com.au/technology/poison...h9oiz.html

Freezing is not a particularly popular choice, as having a frozen cane toad in a bag nearby your food can turn some people off this idea. However, it is the most humane way apparently.

In regards to the firearms, I highly doubt that this proposal will go ahead. The electorate Mr Katter represents is in the Western part of Queensland and contains nearly entirely farming towns and communities. He is a big fighter for farmers rights and for supporting farmers, which may be part of the reason he wins elections. He is also quite known for having 'out-there' views and ideas on some topics.

I will also mention that around the time Mr Katter made these comments, another senator (who is also known for being blunt and having 'out-there' views), proposed a plan of their own for controlling cane toad numbers. I'll spare everyone the technicalities, but I wouldn't be surprised if Mr Katter's remarks were made as a bit of a joke directed at the other politician. This would be why others here have said he appears to be laughing about it.

My last little comment in regards to controlling numbers. If you could find a way to do so I'm sure you'll make a fair dollar. I don't particularly know what research has gone into sterilising them, but researchers have recently deciphered their genetic code. http://theconversation.com/weve-cracked-...ion-103362 There has been research into using viral infections to control them, but they are not a reliable method as they also kill regular frogs. So I guess this is a watch this space for any possible genetic modification methods to control them.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Methods of Cane Toad eradication inhumane - by Wrax - 02-17-2019, 09:42 PM