Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Robins! The North American sign of Spring
Robins are a sign that winter is ending and spring is beginning. Once we spot their bright colours and hear their song we breath a sigh of relief. We have made it through another winter.
Sadly in our earlier history with birds, Robins were killed and eaten in large numbers. Laws were passed to stop the killing. Then DDT did its damage, but it has been banned and Robins are still with us.

Now Robins with their ability to adapt to city life have become an important part of out city/nature experience. From the time they come back until they leave next fall we will hear their cheerful song and feel good. 

www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/we-once-hunted-and-ate-robins-now-the-birds-are-a-colorful-harbinger-of-spring/2019/03/22/4d58d9d2-4a6e-11e9-93d0-64dbcf38ba41_story.html?utm_term=.265c8f1c340d

I have the right kind of berries in my garden to attract Robins and every year I host a "bird festival". There will be many robins feasting and just hanging out and singing. First thing in the morning and last thing at night there will always be a robin singing his solo. I can't imagine life without Robins. I am so glad they are back.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

How nice for you to see the Robins back, heralding the Spring!

Your Robins are very different to ours. Our tiny red-breasted Robins, although they live here as far as I know, all year round, are traditionally a symbol of Winter, and decorate many a Christmas card!

This is the nursery rhyme:
The North wind doth blow and we shall have snow,
And what will poor robin do then, poor thing?
He'll sit in a barn and keep himself warm
and hide his head under his wing, poor thing.
Our Robins clear out at the first sign of winter. They go somewhere warmer and they don't come back until early spring. 

Your Robins sound like they are dear little birds.

Our Robins are very different and a lot bigger. They are actually a kind of Thrush. They eat insects and berries. My garden has both so I sometimes have gatherings of Robins. They will spend the whole day eating something that is newly ripened.

Our Robins are great bathers. They get in a bird bath or puddle and the water flies everywhere as they splash around.
They are the first bird to sing in the morning and the last bird to sing at night.
When we see that the Robins have returned we know that the worst of winter is over.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine