Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kitten "slaughterhouse" closed
Since 1982 the United States Department of Agriculture has been using kittens to conduct research on Toxoplasmosis.
The kittens were fed infected meat and the eggs of the parasite were harvested. The kittens were then killed. Over 3000 kittens have been killed.
In March legislation called the Kitten Act was introduced to put an end to the slaughter.
The remaining 14 cats will be adopted out and the project has been ended.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-47795500#_=_

This project has been going on for 37 years. That means they have been repeating the same things over and over. 
Worse, Toxoplasmosis is treatable so infected cats could have been cured and adopted out. They just chose to keep needlessly experimenting on kittens and killing them.

It is a good thing this is over, but it is also about time it was over. I commend the legislators who supported this bill and ended the killing.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

It's very good news that has ended.

I find it hard to condone what they did. If Toxoplasmosis has been treatable for a while now, why slaughter all those kittens in the name of "research"? At least a few made it out alive, but that has been going on for 37 years....
Quote:I find it hard to condone what they did. If Toxoplasmosis has been treatable for a while now, why slaughter all those kittens in the name of "research"? At least a few made it out alive, but that has been going on for 37 years....
I can't condone the research or the methods at all. Worse, they must have found out anything meaningful decades ago. If they had no results then they should have changed the nature of the research to something that would give results. Instead they just kept doing the same research over and over again.

I am happy some cats will be saved, but the other 3000 should have been cured and given to good homes. What they did was very callous and cruel.
Catherine

There is no excuse for this sort of research no need for it,it's just a reason to justify their funding,if you cared about animal welfare you wouldn't be doing this sort of work.
I find it hard to believe that they continued for so many years. It is like they were too stupid to stop. Did no one question what they were doing?
Catherine

I thought kitten "slaughterhouse" like those for cows. Anyway, it's good that this ended.
I think they used the word slaughterhouse to make a graphic point. They killed over 3000 kittens. That makes them no better than a slaughterhouse. It is hard to think of what they did as valid scientific research.
Catherine