Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hills Pet Food lax in food testing
Hills Pet Nutrition did not follow its own rules about product testing. If it had then they would have caught the Vit D overdose levels before the products were sent out to be fed to pets. As a result animals died.

www.foodsafetynews.com/2019/04/lax-testing-practices-resulted-in-vitamin-d-overdoses-in-hills-and-sunshine-mills-pet-food/

I figured there was some carelessness by Hills Pet Nutrition. Their attitude has not been good and they have not accepted responsibility. They know they are at fault.

Sunshine Mills is guilty of the same carelessness. Neither company tested the Vit D levels to be sure they were the right amount.

The investigation is still ongoing so we don't have all the facts yet. It is not even clear how many dogs died. Some may still die.
As soon as I find out more I will post it.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Yes they should have had the products tested before they were sent out.

Hills had a huge list of recalled products and I am very sorry to hear some animals died as a result of their negligence.

Sadly, they are not alone. I have seen alerts now for so many other dog and cat foods manufactured by other companies, which had to be recalled owing to high and dangerous levels of vitamin D. The lists go back into the winter and beyond!

Is this because the companies are trying to cut corners financially? In which case it is self-defeating as news of animals dying from eating these foods more or less guarantees no one will go near them for quite some time at least!
Quote: Is this because the companies are trying to cut corners financially? In which case it is self-defeating as news of animals dying from eating these foods more or less guarantees no one will go near them for quite some time at least!
I think you are right that they cut corners. The real problem was a vitamin premix that they use. Before adding it to the food they are supposed to verify the vitamin levels. They didn't do that. It would have saved them a little money. That small saving has cost dogs their lives and the company's reputation is ruined. Unless they act quickly and decisively they are finished as a pet food company. Who would ever trust them again.
Catherine

Before my Bessie passed she was on Hills prescription kidney diet food I paid a lot for it,I wonder if it applies in Australia as well.
I think it was local to the USA. Hill's Food sold in Australia would be made in Australia wouldn't it. It would be expensive to ship the cases of cans all the way to Australia.

It was a recent mistake as well. If they had tested their vitamin premix like their own rules specified then they would have caught the mistake in Vitamin D levels. The whole thing would not have happened.

It has been a mistake for Hill's not to own this accident and be open with the public. People are doubting them. They have had a good reputation for years and now they could lose it.
Catherine