Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
houdini?
As you know I recently bought a couple of new hutches for the rabbits to go outside. Well, the first hutch was done last week. It was one of those that has a hatch and ramp but can be closed off and used as two separate hutches so that's what I did. I put Fred in the top one and Midnight in the bottom. They appeared to settle in okay and two days later I was in the old shed feeding when I heard a lot of noise coming from outside in the hutches. I went out and I couldn't believe what I was seeing. There was Midnight in the top hutch. Fred was still in there but he was in the sleeping part in a submissive position. Didn't look too happy about the situation.

I'm still unsure as to how Midnight did it. It wouldn't have been easy to push the hatch up with all the newspaper and bedding on top and as for squeezing through the gap, well I'm amazed. I put Fred in the bottom hutch and left Midnight in the top. Seems that's what he wanted in the first place as he has made no attempt to get back underneath and Fred has no interest in finding his way back up. It was lucky that they didn't fight.
I guess even rabbits have preferences when it come to who gets the top bunk and who gets the bottom bunk.Smiley4

I wonder how he did it. When you have all the time in the world you can figure out ways of doing things. Good thing you were there. If they had been alone too long I a, sure they would have started fighting. Maybe there needs to be some kind of clip or lock or whatever to prevent it from happening again.
Midnight is pretty clever. Good thing you did not have a girl on the top level or you would have a litter on the way.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Haha! Poor old Fred! It would be a bit of a shock to have a rabbit suddenly come up through a trapdoor in your bedroom floor -which you didn't know was even there!

I bet he's thinking "I'm having weird dreams nowadays...."
I never thought about how Fred felt when he had unexpected company. I wish we could have seen the look on his face.Smiley4
Catherine

(04-01-2014, 12:31 PM)Catherine Wrote: I never thought about how Fred felt when he had unexpected company. I wish we could have seen the look on his face.Smiley4

The poor little guy looked rather shook up to be honest, and even now he still seems rather nervous.
I guess Midnight is a bigger more dominant pig and from Fred's point of view, not a welcome guest. No wonder he is still nervous. He must worry that Midnight will find a way to "escape" again. As long as Midnight does not find a way to escape to the girls cages. That could be a problem.
I had a little male hamster, James, who seemed to be able to get out of and into any cage I had. Sadly he got himself killed, but not before he had half a dozen girls pregnant. They all missed him and wanted him back, but he liked to travel.
Catherine