Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Good dog story series by Erin Hunter!
For anyone who likes reading, and who likes dog stories, this series is very good:

Survivors -by Erin Hunter. (fiction) Actually this is a young readers' series! But I am thoroughly enjoying it and I am in my 60s!
 It is a story of dogs who have been abandoned by their humans after an earthquake hits a city. There is a lone dog, called Lucky who meets up with others to form a pack, and the adventures start as they learn to survive.
The stories are written from the dogs' point of view. Well written, good characters, some humour, and much drama!

There are  6 books in the Survivors series.
1. The Empty City
2. A Hidden Enemy
3. Darkness Falls
4. The Broken Path
5. The Endless Lake
6. Storm of Dogs

I discovered this (among other books) at a free site "Open Library"
https://openlibrary.org

To join and start to borrow books (which will display in a simple easy to navigate online reader) it's only necessary to register with email address and password.
It is completely free.
One is allowed 14 days to read a book.
There is a search box, where a book title, author's name etc can be entered.
I think I have heard of Open Library. Now I know what it is. Thank-you for the information. The stories sound very interesting. It is a good story line, to follow the lives of dogs after a disaster. They would adapt and learn how to live without humans. They are a bit like the dogs of Chornobyl who have survived all this time on their own.

I will have to check it out.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

If anyone goes to this site they will find the first book is already on loan.
That is me. I will return it either tonight or tomorrow.

When you find a book, the option is to either borrow it, or go on the waiting list for it.

There are some books (like Andrew Norton's book about Princess Diana for example) which have a huge waiting list and it could be weeks to months before it will be available.

But usually there isn't long to wait -maybe a day or two. They let you know by email.

I originally read book 3 of this series before I discovered it was "3 of 6". So I went back to the beginning and borrowed book 1. Nearly finished! Smiley16
I have done both, been on a waiting list for a book and started in the middle of the series. I agree with you about going back to book one and starting again. Things make so much more sense if you start at book one.

If Open Library works like a real library with waiting lists and due dates, I shall have to take out books when I have time to read them. The series does sound interesting.
Catherine

Well....I discovered books 2. 4 and 6 are not on there Smiley19  So only 3 are!

But never mind, the other books are widely available as paperbacks.

For nerds, here is some info. from the books!

[Image: 200w.gif?cid=790b76115d01948e6d643537672...d=200w.gif]  =A Loudcage

[Image: 200w.gif?cid=790b76115d0195ac594c4453322...d=200w.gif]  =A Giantfur

[Image: 200w.gif?cid=790b76115d0196cf74452e6c413...d=200w.gif]  =A Sharpclaws

[Image: 200w.gif?cid=790b76115d01ae0167776b466b5...d=200w.gif]  =Going to the Earth-Dog
Now you really have intrigued me. I like the term sharpclaws. It describes cats perfectly.
Giantfur is a good name for a bear.

I am going to check my local library system. They have many things. I might be lucky enough to find the series.
Amazon  might carry it as well. Amazon has second hand books. They are cheaper. It would be great to find the whole series second hand at a good price.

Now all I need is the time to read a book.
Catherine