Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Animal Slaughter "tradition" in Yucatan
Yet another so called tradition in which animals end up dead. This time bulls disembowel horses. It is a nasty way to die.
This one is linked to a religious festival.

https://www.theyucatantimes.com/2019/09/...n-yucatan/

I am failing to see how there is anything spiritual, religious or traditional about an event that causes horses to die horribly. The horses would have no protection against bulls, especially not against bulls that are aggravated to the point of aggression.
When are we going to stop trying to disguise a cruel blood lust as a religious festival. If it really is a religious festival then we need to look at religion and ask ourselves what we believe in.

It is way past time to put an end to barbaric practices that hide behind a cloak of tradition, culture or religion.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I can't add much to what you have written above, Catherine. Religion is, sadly, often cited as an excuse for cruelty. Some religious people have much to learn in terms of compassion and empathy. Some of them don't even know what the words mean.

This festival is, to put it bluntly, debased and extremely cruel. It is even more disturbing to read that children are taken to these displays of extreme cruelty.
How horrific and cruel. As a species, we appear to have made no advancement since the decadence of the Romans.

Religion is so often nothing to do with the "Divine". And used as many excuses for the most debased human behaviour.

How awful that children are being conditioned into thinking cruelty like this is "normal".
Quote:This festival is, to put it bluntly, debased and extremely cruel. It is even more disturbing to read that children are taken to these displays of extreme cruelty.
Quote:How awful that children are being conditioned into thinking cruelty like this is "normal".
Every one of these nasty festivals that we read about involves bringing the children. I think it is a form of child abuse to expose children to such brutal violence. It would effect them for the rest of their lives. Of course the result is that they will bring their children and the cycle continues.

I fear that such brutal slaughters will only really stop when we stop exposing children to them.

Maybe the children could be educated to see the "festivals" for what they are.
I was shown a seal slaughter video by my French teacher when I was ten. It was a brutal film, but it was done to show the brutality for what it is. It made me aware of how wrong such slaughters are and how violent and cruel they are. I suppose if I had been taken to participate in the slaughter the effect would have been different. It is something to think about if you are educating children.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine