Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The intelligence of crows
It seems scientists are always studying crows. There is a lot to study when it comes to crow intelligence. They have learned about crows using tools and solving problems. What they are concluding is that crows are one of the most intelligent species after primates. 

https://www.bbc.com/future/article/20191...n-primates

Who knows, if we knew how to measure intelligence in animals (or people) we might find they are smarter than some primates.
I certainly know humans who are not tool users. There are a lot of things crows do that some people do not. I know I have never met a stupid crow. I can't say that about humans.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

They certainly are intelligent, and they can be good friends too. I am always thoughtful about why Koori made friends with me initially in 2016 (before there was any food involved) I don't know how long I was observed, or what passed through his mind. But he must have done some thinking before that day when he introduced himself.

It is so sad that many of the traditional "country people" in my area view them as pests. My feeling is, I am sure the Crows think those people are pests too!

I have spent a lot of time outside, and never once have I seen a Crow attack a living lamb, although I have heard of cases where Crows may attack a sheep which has got stuck on its back. So I keep a watch for any sheep like that and turn them right way round a.s.a.p.
Quote:It is so sad that many of the traditional "country people" in my area view them as pests. My feeling is, I am sure the Crows think those people are pests too!
I think I agree with the crows sometimes.

I was thinking of you and Koori when I read this article. Koori has shown intelligence in so many ways. Koori also thought things over  and became your friend cautiously. You are probably known to the crows in your area so it makes sense that a crow would connect with you. I just don't know why Koori chose to connect with you. Maybe Koori is some kind of crow ambassador.

I don't believe that crows attack newborn lambs. They would eat one that had died at birth. Most people would not have enough sense to examine the lamb and see if it was dead or alive when the crows  were eating the body. 

I don't know about crows attacking sheep on their backs, but I understand that it is serious if a sheep gets stuck on its back.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine