Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gia had her babies
Sorry I didn't post sooner but been so busy with the animals, sorting out and cleaning out. Anyhow, Gia had her babies on Wednesday, 16th April. Still not sure exactly how many there are but I'm fairly certain there are 5 or 6 babies, so that's brilliant for a first litter. When I checked on Wednesday her nest was by the door so have to be extra careful when opening the door to check on them, even more so now because since then she has piled bedding and straw that it's almost to the ceiling. She's making sure that they are kept warm and that's great.

Once they have got their fur and eyes open I will post photos of them. I don't want to disturb them or Gia.
Congratulations to Gia. That sounds like a very good first litter. I look forward to seeing them when you can post pictures. Baby bunnies are so much more fragile than baby guinea pigs. It takes some getting used to. They don't even have fur so even if you get to see them, you still won't know what you have.
Gia sounds like a very careful and protective mom. It is great to see that she is so good. It makes your job easier. It is a good start to your bunny breeding year.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

(04-19-2014, 03:48 PM)Catherine Wrote: Congratulations to Gia. That sounds like a very good first litter. I look forward to seeing them when you can post pictures. Baby bunnies are so much more fragile than baby guinea pigs. It takes some getting used to. They don't even have fur so even if you get to see them, you still won't know what you have.
Gia sounds like a very careful and protective mom. It is great to see that she is so good. It makes your job easier. It is a good start to your bunny breeding year.

She's piled even more bedding in there, there's none left in the other half of the hutch. The kits are right against the door and they are very lively so it's difficult to open the door. I had one fall out yesterday, luckily he/she seemed okay and was put straight back in but it scared me a bit though. May have to wait until they are about 2 weeks old before opening that door again, once they can move away from the door area.
What a scare. I hope the little one is okay. Gia is determined to keep her babies private isn't she. She is quite a nest builder. If you gave her more bedding she would probably add it to the nest.

We will look forward to getting a proper look in two weeks.
Catherine

(04-20-2014, 03:37 PM)Catherine Wrote: What a scare. I hope the little one is okay. Gia is determined to keep her babies private isn't she. She is quite a nest builder. If you gave her more bedding she would probably add it to the nest.

We will look forward to getting a proper look in two weeks.

Funnily enough she has added more to the nest and virtually all the bedding out of the other half of the hutch has gone. She keeps moving her food dish and a lot of times tips it upside down, or she will just sit in it. She's a little sweetheart.

Can't wait to see how many there are and what colours they are.
Gia sounds like a character. I can picture he sitting in the food dish. Is she hoping for a snack? She must work for hours at a time to move the bedding. She would have to do it one mouthful at a time. You have to admire her determination to give her babies a good nest.

You still haven't seen them? She likes her privacy.Smiley4
Catherine

Here they are, 9 days old xx

[Image: DSC00942_zps92ccdbd6.jpg]
What little sweethearts.Heart

Am I seeing five babies? Or is there a sixth one under the others?

She had a nice mix of colours. I see a light one, a spotted one and three dark ones. The dark ones look like they could be different.
Very nice looking babies! Gia is a great little mother.
Catherine