Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
advertised as free
The other day I saw an advert on the Preloved site for a Netherland Dwarf rabbit and they were advertising him as free to a good home. I enquired and he was still available last Wednesday so I said I could have him next week, which they said to call the weekend to check he was still there. The advert has been taken down now and I am wondering whether he has gone. It's worrying because the wrong people could have had him because of him being free, like snake food or even worse dog fighting.

I don't really need another rabbit but if I can get this one I feel I will have saved him from a worse fate if that makes any sense? I'm going to text again today and see if he's still available.
I hope you get this little rabbit, hungrypigs.

I have very bad feelings about the sale/trade/giving away of animals on sites online such as Craigslist, Gumtree, Preloved and others. It is against Ebay's rules and has been for some time, yet only a couple of years ago I had to report a post urgently which offered puppies for sale, and which Ebay had obviously not moderated.
It's my opinion ALL these sales/trades etc online should be made illegal, with stiff penalties for anyone still caught doing it.
Professional breeders should be regulated, and their websites should have to display a legal registered Licence.

But sadly, what happens on the "Dark Net" we have little hope of regulating. But the FBI and Scotland Yard etc I am sure would find a way if they wanted to!
I always worry about the "free" animals. People do not respect what they get for free and there is always a worry that they want it for the wrong purpose. Lots of people search sites for free animals so they can rescue them. I really hope you can rescue this bunny. You will feel better and the little guy needs a loving home like yours.

Dare we hope they took his name down because you said you would take him.

Does England have a dog fighting problem? I know there are dog fights happening in Canada and the USA. They are forever catching them and shutting them down, but they spring up somewhere else.

It takes a big snake to eat a rabbit. Usually hamsters are more at risk.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I hope you get the rabbit too.
I hate to see animals advertised as free, you never know who will get them and what their intentions are.
One friend of mine needed to rehome some fish and advertised them for sale at a rather high price. When the right home came along she refused payment and gave them to the new owner as she was convinced they had the animals best interests at heart. She also gave them all the appropriate equipment as well.
So they were free to a good home, but only after the new owner had "proved" themselves.
Greeting from Wales.
Hwyl Fawr o'r Cymru.
This is the web site of the rescue I volunteer at.
http://guinearescue.blogspot.co.uk/
Unfortunately he has gone but the person said that they had 2 of his babies if I wanted one of those. Unsure of their sexes, they are 6 weeks old and both are also free to good home. I've asked if I can have them both and they have said yes and asked when I wanted to pick them up. To be honest they shouldn't leave until they are 8 weeks old but i think the sooner I get them the better and safer they will be. I can always rehome them at a later date.
That is very true Catherine. There are some people who keep a look-out for animals to rescue. I always hope and pray these little ones will get to those people first.

I am unsure about the statistics concerning dog fighting in UK. I know it can, and does, go on in many countries. Some of the people involved in that treat each other no better than they treat the dogs.

Another thing which bothers me about "free to good homes" ads is animal research.
Even if they are too young the babies will be better off with you. She will give them to someone else who will not know how to care for them. As you say, you can rehome them properly later if you need to. Also babies could be in danger of becoming snake food. Sadly not all snake owners are ethical.

I like the idea of "charging" and then when the future owner checks out, giving the animals for free.
I check the shelter web site for pets in general, but guinea pigs in particular. I take on the older ones because they are less likely to be adopted. I have had some fun times with my rescues. Rosie only lived 15 more months after I got her, but they were a fun 15 months.

Quote:Another thing which bothers me about "free to good homes" ads is animal research.

I never thought of that. Do research labs still want animals like that. I guess it depends on what they are doing. Psychology researchers could still use strays and some of their work is extremely cruel.
Catherine

(04-27-2014, 04:28 PM)Catherine Wrote: Even if they are too young the babies will be better off with you. She will give them to someone else who will not know how to care for them. As you say, you can rehome them properly later if you need to. Also babies could be in danger of becoming snake food. Sadly not all snake owners are ethical.

I like the idea of "charging" and then when the future owner checks out, giving the animals for free.
I check the shelter web site for pets in general, but guinea pigs in particular. I take on the older ones because they are less likely to be adopted. I have had some fun times with my rescues. Rosie only lived 15 more months after I got her, but they were a fun 15 months.

Quote:Another thing which bothers me about "free to good homes" ads is animal research.

I never thought of that. Do research labs still want animals like that. I guess it depends on what they are doing. Psychology researchers could still use strays and some of their work is extremely cruel.

I'm picking them up tomorrow morning. My husband thinks I'm mad but I feel it's something I need to do and I can rehome them at a later date. Don't know what sex they are as the people who got them said they didn't know, but at least they can stay together for a while yet.
I am glad you are getting them. They have a chance with you. You can get them established and eating right and then you can think about their future.
You have to rescue an animal sometimes or you will always wonder what happened and it will bother you. If you are like me, you just know you have to do it.

I bet they are cute little babies.Heart
Catherine

(04-28-2014, 01:28 PM)Catherine Wrote: I am glad you are getting them. They have a chance with you. You can get them established and eating right and then you can think about their future.
You have to rescue an animal sometimes or you will always wonder what happened and it will bother you. If you are like me, you just know you have to do it.

I bet they are cute little babies.Heart

Here they are in their new home.
[Image: 2014-04-28111010_zps7353c845.jpg]

Not sure what sex they are yet, but the one has a bit of hard poo stuck to it's bum, that's the best way to get it off, a wet wipe maybe? They are so tame and tiny and so so adorable. Just love their colour!

The lady told me that they was keeping the mom and another baby, but she took my telephone number because they may change their mind and I will be able to have them as well, so fingers crossed I get that phone call asking me to come and collect them.