Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Earth Day 2020!
April 22, 2020 is the 50th year of celebrating Earth Day.  After years of amazing public displays, this year Earth Day goes digital. 
There are suggestions on the web site of things we can do to celebrate this important milestone in recognizing the planet.
We can't have parades and public events, but we can still  make it special.

https://www.earthday.org/

I can at least pick up garbage and clean things up a little where I am.  I already recycle, but I can make a point of creating no garbage for a day or using less water. I have already started tending my ecofriendly garden. I can give it a little more attention on April 22.

Here are some good suggestions for those who are home bound at this time.

https://blogs.ei.columbia.edu/2020/04/17...-covid-19/

When this pandemic is over and we are free to roam the earth again, I hope we do so with a new understanding of what a privilege it is to live on such a beautiful planet.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Pollution levels have fallen massively during the lockdown. That has to be good for Mother Earth. After lockdown ends, I just hope that people will think of the earth more, especially in thinking, "Do I have to use my car to go to the local shop?", "Do I really have to go on a long haul exotic holiday this year?", "Is this car journey really essential for my life?", etc.

Having an Earth Day is a great idea, but ultimately it is what people do in their *everyday lives*, every day, which will decide whether Mother Earth will survive long term.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-52313972
I have never seen Toronto skies so clear in the 32 years I have lived here. What is missing is the cars on the roads and other human activities.
The whole planet is experiencing cleaner air because of reduced human activity. 
I am hoping this means cooler global temperatures. Is it possible that this pandemic with its shutdowns can slow global warming enough to make a difference.
We won't have an answer to the  question right away, but I think we already know that having humanity on a "Time out" has been good for the planet.

So when we celebrate Earth Day this year, I hope we all think about how much better off the planet is without our activities.
You are right, what really matters is what we do in our everyday lives after the pandemic is over. We can change and now we have seen what happens when we do change our behavior.

I  hope post pandemic we return to our lives with a new perspective on what matters and a new attitude towards the earth and the other creatures that share  the planet with us. We have a rare opportunity to make a fresh start on a global level. I hope we make the fresh start.
Catherine

This year Earth Day was like no other. The animals roamed freely on the Earth while we hid out.

https://globalnews.ca/news/6851572/earth...ronavirus/

I am noticing an different attitude in the animals right now. They seem to be reclaiming the planet. 
I walk past a Robin on a front garden and he used to move when I passed by. Now he just glances at me and carries on with his hunting.
The other day he had claimed the whole sidewalk and when a bus went by  he gave it a look and carried on. He doesn't move for anything any more.
He is not scared of me anymore.
Catherine

This is a few days late, but it is worth posting. The Canadian Wildlife Federation does a lot for wildlife. They posted 50 ways to love wildlife for Earth Day this year.
It is worth looking at. If you are already doing some of the 50 things that is good. If you can do more that is better.

https://blog.nwf.org/2020/04/50-ways-to-...earth-day/

I do some of the things. I have planted my garden with wildlife in mind. Hopefully I can do more planting this year. I  love the flowers and berries my trees and shrubs produce. For the birds and pollinators it is their food source and their place to live in the city. So I get to enjoy the birds and the pollinators as well.
When you give to nature, nature gives back so much more.
Catherine

I heard someone mention yesterday that the canals of Venice are now cleaner with an abundance of fish. They also said that many wild walking areas have suddenly sprung up with growth of plants which haven't been seen in those places before.
That is all because people are not travelling like they used to. It seems that everyone being forced to live simpler lives is giving Nature chance to recover in many areas. And those positive changes have happened in not much more than two months!
Quote:That is all because people are not travelling like they used to. It seems that everyone being forced to live simpler lives is giving Nature chance to recover in many areas. And those positive changes have happened in not much more than two months!
The canals of Venice are clear and animals are walking boldly through our cities. In two months nature has reasserted itself and we are not missed.
I hope we are suitably humbled by this. When we do return to the outside world I hope we take our place in it as we should and not simply return and try to take everything from everyone. This time I want us to respect the planet and share the earth with its other inhabitants.
Catherine