Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Asian Hornet discovered in North America
The Asian Hornet, quite simply is native to the Asian Pacific Rim area. They are actually known as Giant Murder Hornets.
They are large and they have a powerful sting. They also kill honey bees. A few hornets can kill a colony of honey bees in an hour.
It is not clear how they got here, but it is clear that they don't belong here. They can survive on the west coast of North America, but it is unlikely they can survive
the prairie climate. 

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/as-if-2020-wa...-1.4926200

This is a species that could become invasive and do a lot of damage to our ecosystem.  Bee colonies are fragile enough as it is. Killer Hornets are more than they are going to be able to survive. So far there are only two nest of hornets, one on Vancouver Island and one in Washington State. If they can find out how they got here, maybe they can prevent further arrivals.  

This is the last thing we need right now. Our pollinators are in trouble. They need things to go well for them. No one needs giant murder hornets.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I saw the news yesterday. That is one scary insect.  Nobody knows how the insects arrived in the United States. But the discoveries set off alarms and the insects began trending on social media as "murder hornets.” These predators, native to East Asia and Japan, are infamous for decimating honeybee colonies. The insects already are known for killing people in their native habitats.   Smiley3

I would never prefer to see this giant wasp. Some years before, a group of some insects were building a hive. It was indeed my mistake that i destroyed the hive. I had no other choice because the hive was very close to our house, it was on a tube light. There numbers will very well increase if i don't do anything. After i destroyed the hive, many of those insects were flying around and particularly one insect came and stung me which was very painful and within few seconds it seemed like something was happening to me, kinda like i was having breathing problem. I thought may be it had poison. I just sat down and after few minutes, everything was fine. I wanted to know what insect it was and came to know that it is a red wasp.

There is a video of the giant hornet killing a poor mouse within seconds. A bite from a small red wasp is very painful, i can't imagine the pain from an Asian giant hornet.  Blinksmiley
That red wasp sting was serious. It sounds like you had an allergic reaction. Have you ever been tested for a bee sting allergy(I don't know if there is a specific wasp allergy test).  If you are ever stung again be careful. You could have a stronger reaction.

We will have a serious problem if these Giant Murder Hornets establish themselves. The two different nests arrived here from different locations. Their arrival is possibly unrelated. It is going to take some good detective work to trace their arrival. Our bees are totally helpless because they have no history of dealing with a predator like this. It takes generations to learn how to deal with something like this. Our honey bees don't stand a chance. 

Anyone with a bee allergy would be vulnerable. Their sting would be so much worse and they can sting multiple times. I don't know what can be done to control this invasion, but something needs to be done very quickly before they spread.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine