Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rescue work after Hurricane Rita
Thousands of animals were rescued and eventually re-united with their families, after the devastation of Hurricane Rita.
Brilliant work by the animal rescue services.

The documentary is 46 minutes long.
http://youtu.be/qFTCByDsvF0
That is amazing. Of course I should not have started watching after midnight because I had to watch the whole thing.

What an incredible rescue operation. Many of the people had already been through the Katrina disaster/rescue. You wonder where they got the energy from. They were at it for a month and more. It is wonderful how the shelters outside of the disaster area sent workers and took in animals.

It goes to show that when we set out minds to it we can do great things. It has become important to rescue animals during disasters. There is a recognition of how important those animal are to people's lives. And there is a recognition that we should rescue any animal, even orphaned baby birds.

I can't imagine how the owners coped with the separation. I would be mad with worry. I had to evacuate my animals to a nearby neighbour's house during a winter power outage. It was only a day and I was with them. I still felt very traumatized.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

I would have got my dog, filled up my car, packed duvets and blankets, food, water and and essentials from the house, and just driven in the opposite direction from the storm, finding some rural area to camp out or live in the car until it was clear to go back.

But I know everyone couldn't do that. Some had no transport....some had multi-animal families.....some were old people.
I am with you, if I go the animals go. As you say, some people had no options. If they stored food, water and battery operated lights etc. they should have been able to ride the storm out. Not all the houses were destroyed. They didn't have flooding like New Orleans.

Maybe a solution would have been to drop the animals off at the shelter before leaving. It would have saved the trouble of rescuing the animals later. That is a good idea. If owners need to leave, animals could be collected at safe locations with volunteers to look after them.
Of course I would insist on being one of the volunteers. I would not let my babies out of my sight.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine