Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Making a pet's last days count
This is not an easy topic, but I know from experience that we sometimes know that the end of a pet's life is near. When a pet is very old and there are signs that they are failing, then I know that time is limited. I found an article that makes helpful suggestions and openly talks about the time before the loss.  It suggests things I hadn't thought of doing. 

https://www.pasadenastarnews.com/2020/06...-and-fido/

I feel better knowing someone else goes through a pre-loss period. I know when a pet is dying. Sometimes there is nothing I can do to stop it. Our pets grow old and leave us. I like the idea of having a special day or actually telling a pet what they mean to me. I know I start a "watch" when the end is in sight. I check on the pet frequently and let them know I am there for them. When you have spent a lot of years with a pet you want to be there for them, but you also want the end to be something you can remember with peace. It is good to think about it and have a plan. We can't do much about the actual ending, but we can control the time  before. Because that time is short, it is all the more precious.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine

Jasper my Gopher Snake has been looking old lately. He is an old man.  I have known he is dying for a few months. 
I check on him regularly and make sure he is okay.  This morning before I left for work, I stopped and spoke to Jasper for a bit. I told him why I chose him and how much I cared and how beautiful I have always thought he was. I said the things I have thought about all these years.

As far as I can tell, Jasper died quietly just after I left. I am glad I said those things. Jasper was a very fine snake and I wanted to give him a good life. I loved and respected him and I am glad I finally told him.
[Image: IMG_9091.JPG]
Catherine